Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

May Be A Silly Question...How to Clean Badge

Well, okay, this may be a silly question, but now that I have taken my Radio King apart and cleaned and polished each piece, I noticed that the brass parts of the badge are dull and some show a darker (almost tarnished) look.

I'm afraid of using any kind of cleaner for fear of ruining the black. Tried wax, but it did nothing.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks very much.

Posted on 17 years ago

Q-tips and a mild dish soap with a de-greasing ingredient -like Dawn, for example....soft clothes, paper towels...and a zen-like patience!

But, you say that you have applied wax to them already? Then, you have essentially sealed in the grime, my friend! You will have to first remove the wax layer...personally, I wouldn't mess with it -especially if you think the paint will come off...but, it's just going to be more involved now, that's all...not impossible. Use some Q-tips...maybe a soft toothbrush and some mild toothpaste (not kidding!)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks....I actually thought I read the (wax) thing on this site in the cleaning section. Was sure it would clean it up, but didn't. I will try the toothpaste route, though...sounds like it may work. Just need to stay away from the black paint!

Appreciate the reply.

Posted on 17 years ago

Honestly, for something as small as that, just start rubbing it like mad with a clean cloth. Eventually (and it probably won't be long) it'll take off the wax and the oxidised layer beneath that - but that's what antique dealers call "patina" and a lot of people pay a lot of money for it.

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks and that is exactly my concern over trying to clean it. But, my issue is that the darkness in the brass, especially the outer ring, is only in one spot...maybe 1/4". So, the "patina" is uneven....I'm kind of a symetrical guy, so I don't like uneven things. but, seriously, it doesn't look right with the dark spots.

Just trying to even our the brass color, rather than make "shiny new." looking.

Thanks very much.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here