Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Maxwin shells?

Pearl made in the 70,s i believe, but what is the shell material?...Were they respectable back then?

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 2 years ago

I,ll try something different. Is there anyone i can converse with re; Maxwin drums specifically? Im caught up on a time line and need clarification...thx

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 2 years ago

I have Maxwin drums (12,13,16) mixed in with Pearl Exports because of the standard dimensions rather than "power" depths. Mine are the same 9 ply Luan construction as the earlier standard Pearl drums. The Maxwin name has been used for many years and your drums may have basswood in them if they are newer-

Posted on 2 years ago

On the contrary, and thx for your response. My shells are indeed luuan but the mounting tom hardware resembles the hex rod style, not the swivo, but before that.

I wonder if these are from the 60,s ratherr than 70.s??

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 2 years ago

I don't believe Maxwin is a 60's stencil badge name. Mine were probably mid-70's and they are early because of the hex mount.Later ones are 7/8 tube.

Posted on 2 years ago

The "Maxwin" brand, by Pearl, arrived in the late 70's I believe. Here's a picture of some of the tom holders used for the Maxwin drums in the late 70's. It's obvious that Pearl wanted to use up their stock of late 60's and early 70's holders for these drums! By the 80's, Maxwin drums used different holders. I believe I have some pictures I can post as soon as I find them.

-Mark

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

Found the pictures, which are from the early 80's catalog.

Super Maxwin 905

Maxwin 805

Funky 405

Each uses a different style tom holder. But you can see that even in the early 80's, Pearl still had quite a few of the old style hex arms and made use of them!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

Thx for the useful info. I picked up a 22,12,13,16 in deep red for 150 and it included a Pearl pedal,hat stand, and cymbals. Not something i would ever seek out but it fell in my lap. After a close look i see the shells and hardware are very sturdy and well built

They tune easily and stay that way, and the luuan shells are very solid. If there was ever a kit built for B rooms and outdoors, this is it. I,d always have a good snare drum, kick pedal and hat stand regardless.....VIVA LA MIJ

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 2 years ago

Wayne!

That sounds like a great kit you purchased! Can you post pictures? I'm sure we'd all love to see the set!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

From idrum4fun

The "Maxwin" brand, by Pearl, arrived in the late 70's I believe. Here's a picture of some of the tom holders used for the Maxwin drums in the late 70's. It's obvious that Pearl wanted to use up their stock of late 60's and early 70's holders for these drums! By the 80's, Maxwin drums used different holders. I believe I have some pictures I can post as soon as I find them.-Mark

The light gauge 618 hardware was the first around early mid 70's... The 518 came next and was a lighter gauge version of the Pearl Powermate Hex series mounts. The latter worked fine considering the lightweight shells.. Later came the Tubular Mounts.

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.