Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Market Contraction? What Say You All?

I think we are beginning to see the effects of the current state of economic distress on our vintage drums. It's either that or the overall vintage drum market is fading by itself without relationship to the economy in general.

It was not long ago that a Rogers Tower WMP in nice original shape for $400 would not have lasted long. This one has been available for a while and is just sitting there. It even has original snares. Lots of other gear sitting too, though recently mrfathead did sell an early 70's Rogers in silver sparkle and 20, 13, 16 config for what seemed a very high $1995. So there are isolated sales, but this Tower not selling is very surprising to me and seems to be a signal.

2 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

uh. I hate to break it to you, but there have been threads about this for more than a year. It is tied to the economic distress...which started over a year-and-a-half ago. You had an either/or situation creating a false dichotomy. There are many factors that cause drops in vintage equipment. Covid and old age have also taken many collectors out of the market. When I show my students pictures of my Gretsch 12/14/18 1950's, they are just not impressed. Rock is mostly dead to a high percentage of these last generations. Real musicianship isn't a popular goal any longer. Lots of factors.

Posted on 2 years ago

I think the economy is cruising right along....I think 1950's and 1960's collectors are aging out of the market and prices are dropping for common drums and sets.

The top of the line drums have seen no major price drops since the big 2007 recession in my opinion.

Posted on 2 years ago

Maybe, if the younger drummers start paying big bucks for their 70s and 80s "vintage" Tama and Pearl drums, OUR 50s and 60s Ludwigs, Slingerlands, etc. will become bargain priced for us.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here