Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Mardi Gras set/BD hoops restoration

[IMG]http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Dukermoonebay/wr-12.jpg[/IMG]

A couple of weeks ago my dad took a gamble on buying this used Rogers B+B Mardi Gras set. The seller gave us only very dark pictures so it was hard to tell the condition. We anticipated it being a project set but in the back of our minds we hoped it was "one in a million" perfect. When the set arrived, first my dad pulled out the 12" tom and it was PERFECT!!!! But his excitement was calmed when he soon found that was the only perfect one in the bunch.

The rest of the drums WILL be a project and I am excited to work on it with my dad when I make a trip home in a couple weeks.

These hoops are the first things I want to tackle. I hear people talking about re-painting their vintage hoops enough to get the impression it is not totally frowned upon in the vintage drum community. Is it?? Are really ugly beaten up old Mardi Gras hoops more frowned upon?? Haha.. Here are my questions.

1. What have some of you used to paint this??

2. Where do I get some matching gold sparkle strip??

Any given knowledge and experience on this would be AWESOME!!!!!!

Thanks

Isaac Carpenter

Posted on 17 years ago

Issac,

I am no expert, but one thing I think you would want Silver Sparkle/Glitter not gold inlay for the bass. Unless there was some kind of variation, Mardi Gras hoops had silver sparkle/glitter inlay. I am sure some of the more knowledgeable Rogers forum members will know for sure, but that is my understanding.

Mike

Posted on 17 years ago

Isaac!

Mike is correct! Silver Sparkle is the proper hoop inlay. What happens is this:

Over time and with exposure to UV, the Silver Sparkle "ginger-ales" and turns gold. I have seen some cases where it "ginger-aled" so perfectly, the owner thought he had Gold Sparkle drums!

The hoops themselves should be cleaned... lightly sanded... dings/crevices filled with your choice of wood filler... lightly sanded again... primed... and then painted with a High Gloss Black, preferably sprayed. After that...

Install the NEW Silver Sparkle inlays... stand back... admire your work, and be blown away! They come out GREAT! I have restored a couple sets of Rogers hoops with this method and they look as NEW!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Rad, I will post pictures when I finish. Thanks fellas.

P.S. Any advice on where to order the strips of sliver wrap Tommy???

Isaac Carpenter

Posted on 17 years ago

Issac...

I would probably use Precision Drum for this. I believe they will custom cut the inlay to fit the channel that is already in the hoop. The beauty of this color is, the Silver Sparkle stands alone on the Mardi Gras wrapped kit... regardless of manufacture year, the inlay will look perfect! Here's the link to Precision... and well worth a call to them to discuss. They are very accomodating!

Here's the address: www.precisiondrum.com

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

I just got a 1959-60 Slingerland kit in as similar finish called "Capri Pearl"

It too needs inlays. I was thinking gold sparkle but would silver be better in this case too? Should the inlay reflect the 'dominant' color on the rather busy wrap pattern?

Thanks!

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here