Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Marching Snare to Tom Tom

I recently thought it would be fun to add an intermediate size tom between my 12" toms and the 16" floor tom. I also felt it would be an interesting, and hopefully economical, project to do so by "converting" a marching snare. I found a 1962 Ludwig Gold Sparkle 14"X10" marching snare on ebay. My kit is a 1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood so the marcher was perfect in terms of age and color.

When I received the tom I was very pleased with the good condition of the shell. The Gold Sparkle was not badly faded, the hoops and lugs were very good, the inside was clean and the barring edges were good. It did have a lot of bulky "marching drum" hardware on it and it needed a thorough cleaning.

I removed the marching hardware, the snare throw-off and the butt plate leaving six 1/4" holes and four 1/8" holes in the shell. To fill the 1/4" holes I glued in short pieces of 1/4" doweling leaving them just below the level of the outside wrap. I used a good quality wood filler to fill the small 1/8" holes and to smooth over the ends of the 1/4" dowel in the inside. I matched the white paint to touch up the inside. I had some spare Gold Sparkle wrap on which I used a 1/4" paper hole punch and a 1/8" paper hole punch to make round pieces of wrap to cover the hole patches on the outside. I attached these with a dot of contact cement. The result is that from 5 feet away the patched holes are virtually invisible.

I moved the nearly new Remo Pinstripe head that came on the drum from the top to the bottom and installed a Remo Emperor I had on hand on the top. I have sold the P-85 throw-off and the butt plate on ebay. The bottom line is that I now have a really good looking Gold Sparkle 14"X10" tom for a total (new) investment of less than 50 bucks! At a recent jam session with [old] members of my old 60s rock group I put the tom on a snare stand to the right of my bass, between the 12" tom and the 16" floor tom. It sounds great and the tone interval between the toms is just what I wanted.

Sorry...long story, but maybe instructional.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

I would have left the snares on it and added legs, just imagine the sound from that thing! band2

I have the same snare that I picked up for block party parades and the 4th, whatever may come along. During the guitar solo for "Going Home" I could strap it on and march around doing just snare with one giant stick. (hey fun is fun) Next time I see that stick that I made in the basement on a wood lathe, I'll take a shot of it.

Now there's that big deep snare sound that everyone is looking for. Laughing H

Posted on 14 years ago

I think it's so awesome how you matched the wrap exactly by making tiny ones with a hole punch.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Rockdrum

I think it's so awesome how you matched the wrap exactly by making tiny ones with a hole punch.

It's really the only way when you are dealing with round holes. They work perfectly.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Do you thing the tone of the 14" would work between 13" and 16" toms? ....Just curious

....lovin' that vintage sound
Posted on 14 years ago

From Questfordrums

Do you thing the tone of the 14" would work between 13" and 16" toms? ....Just curious

Ya know, there's alot of 15" marching drums out there. They're cheap,and make great floor toms. After owning one, if I custom designed a set, I'd go 12/15/20........Bill D.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Nice drum set you have! Yeah, I've got a 22/13/16 setup and I play open-handed. I figured I could use the snare function for some songs and then turn them off for the third tom effect.

Thanks for the advice!

....lovin' that vintage sound
Posted on 14 years ago

From crash

Ya know, there's alot of 15" marching drums out there. They're cheap,and make great floor toms. After owning one, if I custom designed a set, I'd go 12/15/20........Bill D.

Hey Bill that table that your water is sitting on looks just like a tom??Excited you know I'm joking

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

From vintagemore2000

Hey Bill that table that your water is sitting on looks just like a tom??Excited you know I'm joking

Just doing my Buddy Rich imitation! Although, he usually had towel on his......Aloha, Bill D

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here