Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Marching Snare to Kit Snare

I'm looking for tips from people that have successfully converted a marching snare to a kit snare

- 14 x 4, 14 x 5, 14 x 5.5, 14 x 6 or larger?

- 3-ply or 6-ply?

- standard Gretsch snare lugs or tube style lugs?

- steel hoops or cast hoops?

- new or vintage throw-off/butt plate?

- bearing edge style; modern or vintage?

- natural or wrap?

I'm considering taking on this type of project, but want to get a feel for what I am getting into.

-Tim

Posted on 12 years ago

Look for posts from Bill. (BillnVick) He does some sweet work converting parade drums into kit snares. Not to let a cat out of the bag, he's working on one for me at the moment!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

You are looking at a couple of issues when converting a marching drum if you are going to cut it down. If you are cutting down and older style drum then you will have to remove the reinforcement ring from one side then reinstall it after the cut down and then cut a new bearing edge on that side of the drum. Cutting a new bearing edge will be needed regardless of what type of drum you cut down. You will also need to drill new holes for hardware on the drum. The type of sound you are looking for will determine what type of drum you cut down. The older mahogany drums from the 40's - 50's era have a nice fat sound but you can always play them without cutting them down. If you choose to cut down a wrapped drum then you want to choose carefully as well, newer drums like Pearl put on loose fitting wraps on their marching drums that will come offvery easy when you try and saw the shell. Many older wrapped drums had the outer wrap wrapped right into the shell when they are made and the wrap can be difficult to remove without damaging the shell.

Posted on 12 years ago

Here is a good thread to look at Marching Snare Display Thread

Posted on 12 years ago

From CT Pro Percussion

You are looking at a couple of issues when converting a marching drum if you are going to cut it down. If you are cutting down and older style drum then you will have to remove the reinforcement ring from one side then reinstall it after the cut down and then cut a new bearing edge on that side of the drum. Cutting a new bearing edge will be needed regardless of what type of drum you cut down. You will also need to drill new holes for hardware on the drum. The type of sound you are looking for will determine what type of drum you cut down. The older mahogany drums from the 40's - 50's era have a nice fat sound but you can always play them without cutting them down. If you choose to cut down a wrapped drum then you want to choose carefully as well, newer drums like Pearl put on loose fitting wraps on their marching drums that will come offvery easy when you try and saw the shell. Many older wrapped drums had the outer wrap wrapped right into the shell when they are made and the wrap can be difficult to remove without damaging the shell.

A better way to do this is NOT cut down the drum from one end cut it in the middle of the shell.Remove the piece of shell from that and reglue the two pieces back together..These works great of the drum has one single lug in the center you will only have to work around the holes from the strainer and not butt.Say the drum is 10x14 cut it in the middle then cut about 2 1/4" to about 2.5" off each piece that will make the drum 5x14....Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

Look for posts from Bill. (BillnVick) He does some sweet work converting parade drums into kit snares. Not to let a cat out of the bag, he's working on one for me at the moment!John

I believe you have let the cat out of the bag and we will look forward to seeing what comes of it. By the way, if a cat has indeed been let out of the bag, then RogerSling will be by shortly to do something terrible to it.

Mikey, that is a very interesting approach. How big a deal is it to glue to halves of a shell together? Sounds pretty scary to a hack like myself.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago

From MIKEY777

A better way to do this is NOT cut down the drum from one end cut it in the middle of the shell.Remove the piece of shell from that and reglue the two pieces back together..These works great of the drum has one single lug in the center you will only have to work around the holes from the strainer and not butt.Say the drum is 10x14 cut it in the middle then cut about 2 1/4" to about 2.5" off each piece that will make the drum 5x14....Mikey

I know that this is the way that many people approach this affects the resonance of the drum. I understand that this is similar to what some drum shell makers call matchbooking on larger shells because it is hard to find pieces of lumber that ar3 16" wide and is common practice these days. When you Are gluing together a smaller shell like this down to a 5" depth you loose resonance.

I am a fan of single ply shells that because each ply you add to a drum also adds a layer of glue and sound doesn't travel through glue the same way it travels through wood and when you split a piece of wood down the middle like that (Yes I know many people do this) it shortens the resonance considerably. :2Cents:

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here