Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Mapex V series snare drum

I just picked up a Mapex V series snare drum. It seems to have good tone and it looks nice with a black finish. I, however, am not a drummer. How would you rate the quality of this drum? Thank you. Barry

Posted on 16 years ago

Those drums wouldn't really fall under the category of "vintage". Mapex is a relatively young company. I think it would be fair to say they are probably typical of most modern drums and of comparable quality to other brands within their given price range.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

The Venus line is their 'economy line'. It certainly wont measure up to the Mapex Black Panther but if you didnt pay much for it then you should have a fun little snare to beat on.

Posted on 16 years ago

If anyone is interested, Mapex has been in business for 17 years now. The 'VX' line, (formally Venus series, and again renamed to 'V' series) used to be their economy line, until 2 years ago, when they released the 'QR' series drums, and then last year another new economy line called 'Q'. As they have re-structured the 'VX' line of drums, they have made some pretty substantial improvements to the way they are made. Today, a new 'VX' kit will rival that of a Pearl Export, and the like from other drum companies.

I only mention this because I believe that Mapex is well on their way to becoming one of the 'big dogs' in the drum world. They are the only company that continually improve their different lines of drums, being economy or high dollar Orion or Saturn drums.

**I agree, the snare will never be a Black Panther! Eye Ball

-Kevin

1961 Ludwig Super Classic 22,13,16,18, WFL BR Snare WMP
1951-52 Slingerland Radio King Krupa Outfit 24,13,16 Champagne Sparkle
1960s/70s Polaris MIJ 20,12,16 Red Sparkle
2005 Gretsch Catalina Club WMP First Run
2008 Pearl Masters MCX 20,10,12,14f,16f & 14 Diamond Glitter
1999 Yamaha Stage Custom 22,10,12,14r,16f. Marina Green

...& many more...
Posted on 16 years ago

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but since it seems we have some Mapex folks here I'd like to ask a question.

I recently saw a nice condition, used cherry or maple finish 6" X 13" Black Panther. I believe it was tagged at $99.00 - Is this a good deal on this snare?

Thanks.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

It's probably pretty good, if it is cherry or maple or a combination of both. I am assuming it just has regular chrome hardware? If it sounds good to you, and is decent condition, go for it. Now, if it has gold hardware on it, then it is worth more and I'd say get it anyway, haha!

Do a quick search online of Black Panther snares, and see if you can find a new one of these snares, and see what it is going for. Chrome hardware versions of this were under the $200 mark, maybe even around $150. Gold hardware of these snares are just over the $200 mark, even up to $250,

Hope it helps!

-Kevin

1961 Ludwig Super Classic 22,13,16,18, WFL BR Snare WMP
1951-52 Slingerland Radio King Krupa Outfit 24,13,16 Champagne Sparkle
1960s/70s Polaris MIJ 20,12,16 Red Sparkle
2005 Gretsch Catalina Club WMP First Run
2008 Pearl Masters MCX 20,10,12,14f,16f & 14 Diamond Glitter
1999 Yamaha Stage Custom 22,10,12,14r,16f. Marina Green

...& many more...
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks - Yes I did some poking around on the web and found that some of these drums sell for as little as $129.00. I'm 99% sure it didn't have the gold/die cast rims and such, but it's close by, so it's worth a second look.

Just what I need - another snare :)

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here