Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Making Wing Bolts

For months, I have been restoring several WFL flat base concert snare stands and few Ludwig 1400 cymbal stands. I have been very lucky in that I have obtained wing bolts from members of our forum. Thanks again guys! The folded wing bolt used to anchor the sliding arm on the WFL snare basket, in my opinion, is flimsy and easily bent. I've done a bit of research talking to a couple of machinists and some googling and have made a few wing bolts which I think are stronger and more durable. Supply and demand seems to have dictated that wing nuts are a lot easier to obtain than the bolts, at least where I am. Since the folded bolt had a 10-32 thread, a few bolts were bought at the local hardware store. Some wing nuts, washers and finally a product called Permatex Red Threadlocker. It has a holding power of 3,000 PSI. I had a nut to fit the bolts. First cut the head off the bolt to the length required. I used a vice. Use the regular nut as a guide. File off any burrs. Apply a couple of drops of Permatex to the "good" end of the bolt. Attach the wing nut. Next, apply a bit of Permatex to the underside of the wing nut and press the washer in place. The washer has no purpose really other than to help the bolt look more finished. Allow the new wing bolt to cure for about thirty hours. Works perfectly! Not Ludwig but, does the job!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 6 years ago

Brian!

Sounds excellent! Now...if we could only see pictures!There must be someone who can help you with this!

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago

Search industrial supply and/or fastener companies for "Thumb Screws" rather than "wing bolts".

I found some nice looking ones at Manhattan Supply Co. (MSC) but not in 10-32. They are not the only guys out there...

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here