Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Making Friends With a Machinist

I have a MIJ L cymbal arm that came with the red sparkle set I just bought last week, but the wing screw was stripped off years ago and the arm is frozen in place and won't raise or lower to the height I need, so this morning, I Googled machine shops in my area and came up with one in Wharton, NJ.

I used to use an old gentleman right in my town who had a machine shop in his basement, but he passed away last year.

I called this shop in Wharton, spoke to the owner, an eastern European gentleman named Ziggy, who asked me to take a photo of the L arm and send it to him, which I did. He called me back and said he could fix it. I stopped over in the late afternoon and dropped off the arm and a new wing screw. I asked him what the cost for repair would be, and he said, "If I have to buy a tap, about $10, but otherwise, no charge. Just buy me a six pack of beer. I'm always happy to help a musician."

If he can fix it, I'll buy him a case of whatever beer he wants. It pays to make friends with a machinist.

Posted on 5 years ago

Sounds like you found a keeper! I have a friend who owns a metal fabricating shop and he's made me some custom pieces over the years. We're on the barter system; I take care of his computers and he makes me parts when needed. Here's some pictures of the custom adapter he made so I could attach a Swivo butt to a Tower snare drum without drilling extra holes.

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

As vintage and antique drum enthusiasts you really do need to have a great relationship with a machine shop for repairs and I have found actual fabrication of parts like Mark has done. I have a 2 1904-1915 C. G. Conn Snare Drums Nickel Over Brass – Perforated Snare Shell and non perf that were missing the snare tension screws, luckily I have one of my old boy scouts from my troop that went to school to become a machinist and opened his own shop. I pay him for parts and a minimal amount for labor. Fantastic to have resource !

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 5 years ago

Wow Bob, I may need to go grab a 6 pack of beer and pay Ziggy a visit. I've got a specific eye screw from an old Slingerland I can't seem to find and he might be the man for me.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here