Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Majestic De-Luxe

After having to swap out swivel nuts on the reso side of my toms, (12,14") i finally got heads on my Majestic kit. Right now, I put on some used coated Ambassadors and brand new clear Ambassadors on bottoms to get a feel for the drums but might go with coated Emperors instead to beef the toms up a bit. They sound a little transparent and might need a little "help" although I thought I swore off 2-ply heads.

Any suggestions?

Posted on 14 years ago

Yes, the Ambassadors do sound pretty 'open' on these drums, which is a sound some might be going for. I prefer coated Emperors on my MIJs. They are a bit more warm sounding, they seem to help with some of the overtones and sound nice and full, to my ear.

If, after putting an Emperor on your floor tom, if you are having any issues with the drum sounding choked, get some Gibraltar floating floor tom feet. They are cheap and work very, very well. The floor tom will open right up!

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi JS. I have some other suggestions as I have a set of Majestics as well. Could post some pix? I want to look at your shells. They are made to many specs. I have 6 ply shells on my Deluxxe, and a "Semi-Pro" 14" floor tom that is 3 ply. The edges are a key with this set of shells, so let's have a good look at those as well. I have slightly changed the contour and closed the grain on mine and they opened right up. If you get them up this afternoon, we can work on them. I do not suggest a total reworking of the edges, unless they are in bad shape.

Anyway, let's have a look!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here