Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

mach lugs ?

the smaller 5 1/2 machs on my 12,13,14 are arched,meaning that they do not sit flat on the shell.you can see a 1/8 or more gap between lug and shell.Is this how its sopposed to be? the bass and floor tom have the longer lugs wich do sit flat on the drum.A drummer friend of mine told me they should sit flat on the drum .hopefully he's wrong.Iwould hate to have to change them out.I already know that the smaller mach lugs are hard to find.I would imagine a bent lug would effect the tuning and sound of the drum.

Posted on 12 years ago

I have a set of drums with Mach Lugs on them. When I was doing the restoration on them, I noticed that one lug was "arched" as you say yours is.

I laid it on a thin towel with the arched center pointing up, and with a rubber mallet struck the center part of the lug and got it to straighten out. Take your time and dont hit it with great force. You can straighten it out.

Good luck.

"Blaemire Archaeologist"
Posted on 12 years ago

thanks for the advice drumjinx.I wish I only had 1 lug to straighten out and not 18 of them.Ill surely have a nervous breakdown in the process.Its hard to believe that expansion and contraction of a wooden drum could bend metal but its true.What did I get myself into?But Ill give it a shot.

Posted on 12 years ago

success,success ,the rubber mallet worked.All 18 lugs are straight and ready to go.3 to 4 smacks would do the trick,without any drama.I just gotta say thanks for the great advice and thankyou for a great forum.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here