Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Luxor made by Tromsa (Germany)

Hello,

Just for the files, as it has been sold already: a Luxor (Made by Tromsa) drumset, made in (former: Western) Germany, approx. in the 70's.

Sizes: 20", 12", 13", 16" plus 14" metal snare drum with parallel strainer system. Plastic lugs, stick saver hoops and slotted tension screws. All heads are still original and in good condition. Must have been played very gentle, all over the times - as I've been told, by a jazz drummer ...

Not sure about this rare finish, which Ekki (from the Tromsa website) called 'Honeycomb Perloid'.

Tromsa was famous for lightweight drums: if I wouldn't have a soft spot for Star's, I definitely wouldn't let go this very light drumset with it's all original hardware parts.

Ralf

[IMG]http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee346/PaisteStar/Tromsa_01_zps2ebf76e9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee346/PaisteStar/Tromsa02_zpsb640f07b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee346/PaisteStar/Tromsa_snare_drum_zpsd66a0f73.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee346/PaisteStar/Tromsa_pedals_zpsbfeb8280.jpg[/IMG]

1 attachments
Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 10 years ago

Very cool finish, Ralf. Plastic lugs? Wonder what the market was for "light" drum sets, back then. Danke!

Hugh

1966 Rogers Holidays 8x12, 9x13, 16x16, 14x20, 14x22, with matching 5x14 Powertone in BDP
1967 Rogers Dynasonic in COB
Posted on 10 years ago

From MikeCozy57

... Wonder what the market was for "light" drum sets, back then. ...

Tromsa had some connections to Sonor, producing (among others) also starter drumkits with plastic lugs, too, at that time.

And: Tromsa came out of the marching scene, hence their lightweight constructions for shells.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 10 years ago

ACH MEIN GOTT!!!! Those are beautiful. I have never seen that wrap ever. Ekkehard at the Tromsa site has plenty of photos of the different wraps and this is a first for me. Fine set of drums,that need to be played very gently.Jah? Thanks for showing them,Vati

58-Blue Diamond-Pearl Clubdates
65-WMP Clubdates
66-Green Sparkle Clubdates
67-Root Beer Clubdates
65-Cream tiger-stripe Pearl Presidents
60's Red Sparkle Artist LTD
60's yellow sparkle Trixon's
??'s Kingston-MIJ--3piece kit/Pearl snare
many vintage pedals,cymbals,parts,ect,ect
Posted on 10 years ago

Guten Tag, Herr Tromsa-Ralf!

Thanks a bunch for posting these excellent pix of a super-rare kit - certainly a stunner! Although I do cruise around the world (via Internet), I have never come across those Tromsas....

Well, Ralf - you certainly know the "Unofficial Sonor Museum", all the old and original catalogues scans, and other infos on that wonderful website. But for everyone else interested in Sonor: please check it out, it's easy to Goog-L.

Yes, plastic lugs - a very interesting concept!

When I saw your pictures first, I was quite certain that those are the famous Sonor lugs, a variation. And those Sonor plastic lugs, which actually stand up pretty well over the decades, good German quality with metal inserts of course - they are a copy of Ludwig lugs! You can find them on other versions of Sonor toms, BDs, and snare drums from the 1960's (Swinger) to the 1980's (Performer series, and others).

I'm a big fan of those old Sonor BEECH SHELLS.

They are very similar to the modern drums still made in Germany (not the Asian entry level shells). Steve Smith has been playing those for over thirty years, and so did/does JoJo. He has been involved in the revival of those Beech shells, resulting in the slightly thicker, heavier Ascent series. Steve on the other hand is playing SQ shells - still Beech, but thinner.

Today, I'm going to post a few pictures of an old Swinger set, in a typical 60's wrap. It had already cracked in many places, no chance to save it. Those thin foils are only glued at the seam, and don't last too well. All drums and accessories were purchased for $ 200.-

If you noise-aficionados out there are interested, I will show you what I did to those old buckets. Walnut stain, Tung Oil, Fiberskyn heads and all...just ring the bell!

So much for now, cheers from sunny Western Canada

Sono

Posted on 10 years ago

Die sind wunderschön! !!

I LOVE that wrap. Never seen anything like that before.

60's Sonor Teardrops & 70s Premier AMs
Sabian
Vic Firth
Remo/Evans

"unless it's vintage, it's just another wooden tube."
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here