Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Ludwig wrap ?

hello

Does anyone know what yrs Ludwig applied the drum wrap under the shell?

Thanks

Posted on 18 years ago

Just so I can better understand the question.

1. Did they use wrap on the inside of the shell and when?

2. When did the wrap go into the ply of the shell and when?

Thanks and let me know.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Hello

Sorry for the confusion I have a set of early 60s pre serial no. ludwigs

the set was covered by someone in a cloth material (horrible) looked like the drums had pants on, and they also painted the inside with all the lugs still on

so its a big restore job.

after i removed the cloth,at the seams of the outer ply the old wrap appears to be under the top ply like it was put in as the tom was made....

there's a small amount visible the drum was originally gold sparkle I was wondering would it be better to try and pry the ply open and remove the little bit of wrap then when i rewrap the drum put the wrap under the ply ? or just recover over it?

I haven't restored many old ludwigs so i dont know if that was how ludwig wrapped their drums.

p.s. its the pre serial set pictured in the gallery

thanks alot Brian

Posted on 18 years ago

I am by no means an authority on Ludwig drums, but I have owned several vintage Ludwigs and the ones with wraps must have been layered into the wood plys during the shell manufacturing. I have a Jazz Festival snare shell that was stripped off to the seam and the little bit of overlap from the factory is still betweent he wood plys.

Posted on 18 years ago

Yep that is correct. I do not know the exact years when it started and when it ended.

I have an email into Precision Drum for more explanation on what to do, since they are in the business of working on drums every day.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

I would not recommend prying apart the shell in order to remove the wrap. Just cut any excess wrap off with a utility knife, and file smooth if necessary. The main concern is that the remaining wrap does not lie above the "bump" created by the wood seam. We usually begin our re-wrap at the low point of this "bump" seam, and overlap to minimize the bump in the final result.

Posted on 18 years ago

Hello

Hey Thanks alot for all your advice!!! I appreciate your help.

Brian

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here