Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Ludwig Wood Snare and Bass Drum

Hi Everyone,

I've got one of those cool stories of finding these at a garage sale. I didn't pay very much for them. I know they're Ludwig from somewhere around the 20's. They're in great shape. Calf skin heads with no cuts. The wood is in great shape. I've attached the pictures, hopefully you can view them. Can anyone offer anymore information about these drums, please? Thanks!!

BTW, this is my first post, I hope I've done this right..... Any pointers?

Posted on 17 years ago

No pointers on my end I think you did a good job and you posted pictures! Glad to have you here on the forums. In my opinion these look like a steal. The badge on the main website points to early 20's. I dont know value of these drums but they look good. They are all complete im guessing? Let me tell you, you will love this website. David put together a beautiful site and if it werent for him I wouldnt even be into vintage drums, which is always good on the money side :p but really I enjoy this site and hopefully you will too..

long post sorry I kind of rambled.

Cheers

Harrison

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for your reply Harrison.

Actually what I was hoping, is for someone to let me know if these wooden snare drums are fairly rare and worth very much. I actually haven't seen too many of these myself.

A fellow from a drum shop in Toronto Canada told me that he doesn't think there are too many of these around because they get damp and have a tendancy to rot or deteriate or delaminate.

The snares and the calf skin heads (to me) look fairly original.

Any help in gathering information (websites, etc.) on the snare or the bass drum and pedal would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Posted on 17 years ago

Nice drums!

They both seem to be in good condition...probably 1920's-1930's era. Mahogany shell snare...looks like a maple shell on the bass drum...Single-tension t-rods (no lugs attached to the shell)...which means that there is no independant tensioning for top and bottom heads -you tune the top head, the bottom head gets tighter, too....maple rims on both drums...actually VERY good condition and condition is everything. Considering the shape these are in and the interesting rim-mounted snare mechanism that appears to include a throwoff handle and not just a tensioning screw.... I would think $200-$300 for the snare and maybe a little less for the bass drum for the old vintage collector. Mike Curotto would have more insight on this stuff so don't take my word for anything.

The "problem" is that those types of drums just aren't used too much and are therefore not in as big a demand as some other drums from that same era. Some old drums are not only cool -looking, they are also applicable to modern settings. Your drums are kind of novelties by today's standards.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here