Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Ludwig - White Interiors Restoration

Hello Ludwig guys! I'm in the midst of considering a resto project that includes 60's downbeat size champagne sparkle shells that I picked up over a few years. The 12" and 14" shell interiors have been painted black at some point in time and the bass drum shell interior is still original. I'd like to strip off the black paint (or sand it off - any advice would be great), and then I'd like to return them to a somewhat original white. What have you guys used for this in the past? Any specific brand of paint, any specific color, sheen characteristics, application methods? I'd love to hear about some success stories as I'd like to do a quality job. Thanks Yes Sir

Posted on 14 years ago

Benjamin Moore Regal Semi - Gloss Aqua Glo, Super White 333 02 (www.vintagedrumguide.com/ludwig.html, click "Interior Paint")

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

Wow, thanks very much GG, that was very helpful!

Does anyone have any comments on application methods? Brush, foam, spray? Has anyone taken a paint stripper gel to the insides of these shells or should I stick to sanding?

Posted on 14 years ago

I would avoid stripper and start with 220 or 320 paper. These are finer grits I know and it will take longer, but you won't be as apt to really sand down that inner ply. Just my two cents

Posted on 14 years ago

I wouldn't worry about removing all the black if you're going to repaint them in white anyway. I'd just remove whatever black paint comes off easily with light sanding, then primer and paint over the black. I realize that will result in 3 layers of paint, but I'm not sure that's any more harmful than a lot of excessive sanding and/or stripping. The gurus may have some comments, pro and con, regarding any affect on the sound qualities of the drums.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

I was into old wood boats for twenty years.You don't remove paint by sanding.It takes too long.Get you some serious chemicals at the hardware/marine store.I like a product called ZIP-STRIP.Awful stuff.It'll kill you deader than crap but it wont hurt no none.Don't sand,you'll start to smoke the wood.Use the stripper in small amounts with a plastic scraper.That black paint is probably only some cheap stuff and you can roll it off in sheets untill you get down to the goods.Don't sand just wipe things down with paint thinner as you go.Before you repaint give it a light go 'round with 100 grit for clean and tooth nothing more and your off to the race'es.

Posted on 14 years ago

Try a product called Ready-Strip and get the contractor strength. It's non-toxic and you can use it INDOORS all throughout the winter. I think it's great stuff.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here