Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Ludwig Vintage Tom Lugs

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post. I started beating on my great grandmothers washtubs when I was a little kid, but eventually they got me a drum set. I bet they were unhappy if they thought the washtubs were loud. Many years ago I inherited a 1959 Ludwig set from my great uncle.

I need to buy some chrome tom lugs to match the ones on the drums. I found some on eBay that look like mine but the photos only show the front view, and I want to make certain that the rear mounting configuration is the same. Most of the lugs I found were not as old as mine and some are listed as large and some as small although no one seems to list the dimensions. The ones on the set are approx. 2.5" long. Can anyone tell me what year the style and size of the lugs changed? I tried to look this info up in the database here on the site, but maybe I overlooked it.

Thanks very much, any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted on 13 years ago

Any Ludwig "large" lug will fit. The small lugs went on 8x12 double headed toms, all concert toms, and also some snare drums.

Posted on 13 years ago

You bring up an issue that I have often pondered. Just how much has the classic lug changed through the years? Most look the same when installed on a drum, but I've seen quite a few variations as it pertains to the internal design. It would be interesting to develop a timeline based on these variations - has anyone here gone to the trouble?

Posted on 13 years ago

From t.c.

Any Ludwig "large" lug will fit. The small lugs went on 8x12 double headed toms, all concert toms, and also some snare drums.

Of course,later on,they started putting large lugs on the 12" toms too.

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago

Late 70's I think. I have a red/clear pattern C vistalite kit that has a large lug 12".

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

I believe I'm on the right track now and can move forward and get this project completed.

Thanks again!

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here