Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Ludwig Vintage Snare

I bought a 1971 6-1/2 x 14 Ludwig 402 snare drum with a Blue and Olive

>badge. I took off the head and I can see the brass in the bottom of the

>drum and it weighs 10 pounds. I own a 6-1/2 x 14 Ludwig 402 metal snare

>and it weighs 7 pounds. How can I tell the difference between a chrome over metal and chrome over brass snare?

Posted on 18 years ago

Well, you should do a few more tests on that snare. B/O snares have been known to exist with brass shells.

I prefer using a magnet to test different things on the drum. It has been mentioned that this test can also fail, but I prefer not using a very strong magnet. There are magnets that are impossible to pull apart and would probably stick to anything with the slightest magnetic capabilities.

I prefer using those very thin refrigerator magnets. The ones that barely hold up a piece of paper. I have done this on a variety of drums and it always works. The magnet is very low grade and if it hits and sticks I highly doubt it is sticking to chrome.

Tip the drum, if it sticks you more then likely have a metal shell. If it does not stick then it could be brass or a ludalloy shell.

Then for a final test take a lug off and look at the lug holes. you might have to take a small core sample by gently scraping, but if you see brass then you are 100% sure that is what it is.

Weight also helps in making the determination, but I have never seena conclusive weight chart for different Supras.

Sounds like a nice project for someone.

Sorry for the delay in the answer I was working at the Chicago Drum Show

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Look by the muffler knob for a small "B".

Posted on 18 years ago

I have a '66 and a '69 Supra. I also can see some braas and even red copper spots on the inside of the turned over edges. Also where the muffler knob used to be, brass shines through.

But they are both ludalloy ones since they are pitted. Brass ones usually almost don't get any pitting. Ludwig made brass Supra's from the end of the fifties up until 1963 or 1964. Then they changed onto this ludalloy.

So I think your '71 Supra is a ludalloy one.

Why then these brass spots? I think this is because the ludally contains a lot of aluminium on wich chrome doesn't do verry well. Because of that they applied a thin layer of brass first before applying the final layer of chrome.

Since this brass layer was only verry thin, chrome still gets pitted.

Posted on 18 years ago

Why would the drum way 3 pounds more than the other snare?

Posted on 18 years ago

So, is the drum brass or not? Did you see the "B" as Rich stated? Did you do any of the tests?

Weight in some cases is affected by the lugs, hoops etc.. with regards to

how they made them and what they are made of. I know with Rogers some of the early stuff weighed much more to its newer counterpart.

So the same drum has a different weight purely from the hardware.

I have never owned a Brass snare of this type and I sold all of my Ludwig snares so this is probably my least knowledgeable area in regards to drums.

It is always being discussed on different forums and many of the above methods are recommended before weight.

David

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here