Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Ludwig Universal and snare wires ...

Hello, I'm a french drummer and I've got a 14*4 Ludwig Universal snare drum with those old snare wires (a bit like guitar strings). I've got problems to tune them.

This is the exact same snaredrum as this one but without the metal thing under the snare wire tuning screw.

[IMG]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/my_collection/ludwig_universal_snare.jpg[/IMG]

The problem is that it is very difficult to tune them high, they are always loose and it makes a buzz sound everytime. By the way, whan it is hit hard, it sounds like the snare wires are tuned very high. I really don't understand how it works :s there is no throw off mechanism.

And about the global sound, it has a natural calf skin on the batter side, and a n ambassador snare on the snare side. How shall I tune such a snare drum ? very high ?

Thanks for your help and sorry for my poor english.

Posted on 17 years ago

You will have big problems with the hoop clips if you tune this drum high. They were never meant to be tuned like that. They will probably bend or break.

If you want a drum with that sound get a modern snare that can handle the high tension.

Also with the gut wires the drum has a unique vintage sound that can't be changed without changing the heads and wires.

Let's see if Mike C. can chime in hear, he knows the sound these drums should have and if it is possible to do what you are asking.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

I've tuned it lower. By the way here is how it sounded when it was tuned high.

http://o.p.c.free.fr/uni.mp3

The heads are not the original ones, it is a natural calf skin on the batter side and a clear ambassador snare on the snare side.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here