Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Ludwig tom mounts not clamping

I wonder if anyone has had issues with vintage Ludwig tom mounts not gripping very strongly...

Having issues with both those serrated L-brackets not clamping down, and also on the tom hardware itself. The "tightened" L-bracket is loose enough that the tom just falls forward, and the hardware mount that's on the tom also won't clamp down to the L bracket so the tom slides down to where it sits against the bass drum...I've tightened it I believe to the point of stripping it (!) which I'm not very happy about.

I was thinking if maybe I put electric or teflon tape around the grip areas to beef it up and provide some grip, that it might hold better. It looks like there are a couple of washers in front of the nut that may have been original, or maybe the guy before me put on to try to tighten the grip.

Any ideas? :confused:

Posted on 12 years ago

Don't those mounts use eye bolt inserts in them? Sounds like the threads have stretched on them and they need to be replaced. Should be pretty straight forward to fix. I think you can still get replacement eye bolts fairly easy. Take them off the shell and have a good look at them. Unless it's not the mounts I'm thinking of. I'm not a Ludwig guy sorry.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago
Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

Concerning replacing the eyebolts, it first needs to be determined which bracket he has. If it is the first generation P1216, then the eyebolt is 1/4" and these are not readily available. If this is the case, it might be better to purchase new complete P1216 brackets. If it's the second generation P1216, you can use the larger 5/16" eyebolt that is available on eBay and other sites.

Posted on 12 years ago

it also depends on how worn the L arms are as well. if you use new eye bolts, they still may not grip onto worn L arms.

if you get new script logo brackets they come with a memory lock (unless you have the elite brackets which also come with a memory lock) that will help as well.

i may have some eye bolts and memory locks left. i'll have to check. but i need to know what bracket you have. post a pic.

http://www.drummerfish.weebly.com for drum parts, drum promos , swag, promo media and more for sale
Posted on 12 years ago

I've found out that I thankfully haven't stripped anything--it just felt like it when the adjustable wrench I was using was apparently rounding out the outside of the nuts. I found a sized non-adjustable wrench but haven't had better luck, only that the smaller fixed size wrench is more difficult to grip. It still takes an extreme amount of force to lock the toms into place. I have managed to do it but it just about gives me a heart attack in the process, and adjustments tom position takes forever bc I have to figure out how to tighten the thing again. I wonder how much of this is part of the usual process, or whether there is something not quite right.

This is for a Vistalite kit I just picked up for my own playing...and I can see and feel the plastic bass shell warp around the mounting hardware as I'm tightening, which can't be good! there were already some cracks in the set when I got it used off CL, so it's definitely a 'players' kit'.

The eye bolt doesn't strike me as terribly worn, though I'm fairly new to this.

I suspect the parts *might* be waxed!, so I'm going to try to go over them with a heavy solvent to remove anything that might be reducing friction.

Here are some pics of the hardware...

Posted on 12 years ago

PS. for anyone reading this thread later who wonders if teflon or electric tape improves grip, it doesn't really.

Posted on 12 years ago

It's your eyebolts. I can tell by the second pic they are worn smooth on the inside. They should have ridges on the inside similiar to the L rods. Your L rods look ok. I have had to replace a couple of those eyebolts that had worn smooth and it solved my problem. Also, don't ever overtighten. You should not have to tighten them like you say you are. You will strip out everything and actually I have seen L rods ruined by overtightening or people have put gouges in them and you can never get your toms to tighten correctly in that spot ever again. Always loosen then adjust and retighten. I have actually been able to get the new eyebolts in the old mounts by fileing them on the outside a little so they will fit into place inside the mount. Hope this helps.

Posted on 12 years ago

Here's a macro shot of the L bracket.

How 'worn' is this?

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

I think new eyebolts will still grip it. At least there are no indentations or gouges. You need new eyebolts redardless, so try that first. I can see a little more left of the pic looks like it is damaged but I can't tell if it is the very end. If that is the end of the rod I think your ok.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here