Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Ludwig Tom Mount Trouble

So I have a 1967 Ludwig Silver Sparkle 13" tom with the original mount on it. I recently took the drum apart to clean it and now, once reassembled, the mount keeps loosening from the shell over the course of a few hours playing. I keep having to take the top head off the drum to tighten the mount's screws. I get it nice and snug, not overly tight, but then after playing for a few hours I notice the mount starting to get loose again. I know I reassembled it correctly, so that's not the issue. I've never had this problem before.

I do have one suspicion: My rehearsal space has been getting colder lately. Here in Georgia, the temps are around mid 30s - 40 in the morning and then it heats up to the mid to high 60s. I wonder if this flux in temp is causing the wood in the drum shell to expand when it's warmer, then contract when it's cold, causing the mount to slowly work loose. Also, when I arrive at the space to practice, it's pretty chilly, but after a few hours with a few warm bodies in the place, it heats up quite a bit. It's strange, the mounts on the floor tom are snug as a bug in a rug. I know the mount on the 13 takes a little more pressure though. Also, I break down my kit after each rehearsal, so maybe taking that weight off the mount on a regular basis is contributing too.

Guys... anyone experience this same problem? Remedies? Thanks in advance.

Posted on 14 years ago

Use some blue locktite.. I think it comes in a red tube ( go figure)

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago

Maybe try a little bit of the non-permanent Blue Locktite on the screws?

Mike

Posted on 14 years ago

From mgdrummer

Maybe try a little bit of the non-permanent Blue Locktite on the screws?Mike

Hey come up with your own answer... copy cat!! :DDOH;):D

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 14 years ago

Some people have the impression that Loctite actually locks bolts so that they will be real hard to get off later. It doesn't. Bolts that you use Loctite on come apart easily, they just won't vibrate off.

You could use Loctite, or maybe the lock washers on the bolts have flattened and need to be slightly bent back to the way they were or replaced.

Posted on 14 years ago

Maybe it is something inherent in the mount assembly. Maybe even just putting the washers back on in a different position from where they were previously is the problem. I'll just need to bring the drum home and start troubleshooting. Thanks for the insight.

Posted on 14 years ago

Are the lock washers flattened? If so, they have lost their ability to provide tension on the head of the scew thereby "locking" the screws tight. If they are flattened, get replacements for them. Or you could go the already suggested blue locktite route.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here