Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Ludwig tom mount consolette problem

I got an old early 60's Ludwig Club beat kit, that I restored. Bought a new consolette/tom holder off ebay. But, I have had problems with it non stop. Seems the L arm keeps sliding. I have it as tight as it will go ,..even bought a new washer yesterday...My drummer brother was having a jam (I play guitar) and the tom was moving all over the place...he just gave up..and used the snare and bass drum.

Any ideas to solve this frustration?? He suggested I just get an extra snare stand..mount the tom on that...to avoid the hassle.

thanks!

Posted on 9 years ago

I recently replaced my washer, bolt and nut on my 1967 kit.

Maybe a 2'nd washer would help?!?

Posted on 9 years ago

Maybe the knurling is just too worn down on the L-arm. Can you get stuff re-knurled? Seems unlikely....maybe a replacement L-arm.

Or a bit of tape on there....hmm I don't like that idea. Is it loose on the tom mount or the rail mount?

Posted on 9 years ago

I wonder if the L arm is not a Ludwig part? A oddball non Ludwig part(s) of some kind or possibly a MIJ that was added at some point? Mitch has a very good point on the knurling being worn down. You can wrap a small piece of tin can cut to size short term. Cut it with sizzors and wrap around just be careful as it's razor sharp. But it'll take up the excess play between the arm and receiver for the meantime. If you can post some pictures of it the guys here are pretty sharp and might spot something your overlooking. But it sure sounds like worn out or incorrect parts. If it's not holding on the tom mount side the eye bolt insert maybe shot if the knurling is not worn. New replacements are sold by Ludwig but seem to be out of stock at the places I shop at right now.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

I'm assuming the top part that holds the L arm is the "telephone dial" type? Those don't hold well. You could look for a late 60's version with the gear teeth...they hold much better. That would also be like the reproduction version that Steve Maxwell sells. I have a late 60's gear teeth holder on my '58 Ludwig and it works great!

If it is sliding on the tom mount side...then I would look for a little newer tom mount. Very early 60's versions have a screw that just butt up against the L arm shaft, while later ones use an eye bolt inside with a wing nut and hold much better. Hope this info makes sense and is helpful.

- EMD
Posted on 9 years ago

The "telephone dial" or "clock face" consolettes were Walburg & Auge I think. The later ones were ludwig manufactured. I bought a steve maxwell repro L arm and it works well but the finish isn't as nice, its Chinese made. It is a wear part so replacement may be nessisary, for the sake of playability.

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 9 years ago