Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Ludwig Timbales

I just picked up this pair of Ludwig timbales from a pawn shop. Serial numbers are 442973 and 443642 which puts these at 1967 I assume. The 13" cleaned up nicely and I'm about to start on the 14". But I've got a couple of questions for you guys.

1. I've seen pictures of these and typically the rims are the same as any Ludwig tom. The 13" has this heavy-duty cast rim which sounds cool but I'm thinking is not original. Is anyone aware of the ability to order options on these or is this just an after-market replacement?

2. You can see some of the rust on the inside of the 14". Is it safe to use a rust remover on this surface? I used Evapo-Rust on the exterior of the 13".

Thanks for any help or info you can give me!

qwm

60's Gretsch Round Badge 22/13/16
'71 Ludwig B/O Badge 20/12/13/14/16
'72 Ludwig B/O Badge Jazzette 18/12/14
'65 Rogers Holiday 20/12/16
Posted on 13 years ago

The cast rim is definitely NOT original. Looks like a good score!

Posted on 13 years ago

The die cast rims are Ludwigs 1954-1958 model timbales rims

Posted on 12 years ago

Wow, thanks! An answer to a post from over a year ago. I did a little searching and you're right. Strange that my set had one cast rim and one standard. Appreciate the info!

60's Gretsch Round Badge 22/13/16
'71 Ludwig B/O Badge 20/12/13/14/16
'72 Ludwig B/O Badge Jazzette 18/12/14
'65 Rogers Holiday 20/12/16
Posted on 12 years ago

gwm

I recently received a set of original rim with brand new heads if interested PM me

Posted on 9 years ago

Cuco - Do you get (louder) rim shots out of the cast hoop? I find that is so with snare drums.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

John

Yes you get rim a louder shots with the cast rims when its used on an open bottom, on a snare its a bit muffled because of the snare bottom, but very little.

Posted on 9 years ago

If I put a set of die-cast rims on a snare, the rim shots will sound like a 12 gauge shotgun went off by my ear! I was curious if die-cast hoops had the same effect on Timbales. Thanks for the response.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

If I put a set of die-cast rims on a snare, the rim shots will sound like a 12 gauge shotgun went off by my ear! I was curious if die-cast hoops had the same effect on Timbales. Thanks for the response.John

Yes John it will be the same it just a different design of rim.

Posted on 9 years ago

Those are smokin cool! nice find, and will be a blast to play those too.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here