Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Ludwig Throw-Off

Another question about the '69-'70 transition period for Ludwig. I have found a Supraphonic from '69 with a keystone badge. The issue is that it has a P-85 strainer with the script Ludwig butt end. It seems like I have seen some like this on eBay but I was wondering if this could be correct. I have found some strange anomalies from this period. Also, it looks like some of the interior finish is flaking off as well. Is this a big deal or common? Anything you can do to correct or stop this? Thanks.

Posted on 15 years ago

Yes, it could be correct.

have a '69 Supra with a keystone badge and the P-83 throwoff with the script logo on both throwoff and butt plate. However, it also has the newer rotary tone control knob. Mine is stamped "Jan. 7th, 1969", so it is an early '69. Yours may be from later on in the year and thus, been completed with the (then) new P-85/assembly.

Can you post a picture of the interior flaking? It usually occurs to the outside where the chrome plating didn't adhere well to the aluminum shell.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

I haven't bought it yet. Some of the flaking is in the bead and some looks like spiderwebbing from around some of the screws. The outside looks really good with only minimal pitting. I first thought they were cracks on the inside but the outside isn't damaged so I figure it is just the interior coating. I'm trying to decide what to offer for it but prices are all over the place so it is hard to get a good idea.

Posted on 15 years ago

Does the P-85 have a foot on it that has lots of holes for snare cord to go through. Or, are there only 2 holes in the foot?

Posted on 15 years ago

It has multiple holes in it.

Posted on 15 years ago

That's even more reinforcement for it being an original setup. The later ones had two holes only.

By the way, the reason for the multiple holes in some was a throwback to the days of when you had to weave your snare wires through the holes! Why they ever included that as late as the appearance of the P-85 design is a mystery to me!

Posted on 15 years ago

From O-Lugs

... By the way, the reason for the multiple holes in some was a throwback to the days of when you had to weave your snare wires through the holes! Why they ever included that as late as the appearance of the P-85 design is a mystery to me!

I always wondered that too... how many people were using gut snares in '69, '59 or even '49?

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here