Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Ludwig Symphonic Snares

I'm trying to obtain some information regarding Ludwig's Symphonic Model snare drum.

Is there any difference between this model and Ludwig's Super Classic , other than the lugs (16 small Classics as compared to 8 classics)?

Do most prefer one over the other and, if so, for what reason?

Is the Symphonic Model valued by either players or collectors?

Any idea what would be considered a "fair market price" for a 6 1/2 x 14 Symphonic in near mint condition?

Finally, any pros and cons regarding the purchase of this particular model would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!Bowing

Posted on 14 years ago

What year? To be honest there isn't much difference as far as I know, aside from the lugs. I have a '62 School Festival in White Pearl. It's 6 1/2 x 15 and is my #1 snare drum. It's got the white interior with re-rings. It's got the 16 classic lugs which I think looks better than the bowties but it's a matter of taste. Both lugs do the same thing. Not sure how old your potential snare is but the symphonic snares that I have played are nice. Is it a natural mahogany finish? I played an 8 x 14 with bowties and it was a really nice sounding. Ths depth was a bit much though. 6 1/2 is just right.

I would say $200-$250 would be fair. Go for it.

Posted on 14 years ago

The one I'm looking at is from 1959-1960. It's got the Ludwig "transition" badge on it and a mahogany shell (unpainted).

The current owner is "firm" on the asking price.

Posted on 14 years ago

The super classic seems to have the edge on the collector market over the symphonic model. No real difference sonically, more so visually. I believe it was referred to as the Ray McKinley model, before it was tagged symphonic. The super classic is valued higher since it is usually a shallower depth and the fact that Buddy Rich used to play one.....kind of like the reason why Jazz Festivals command a high price (higher if its in black oyster) its all in who used to play one.....

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here