Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Ludwig Super Super Ludwig

I have been gathering so much great info from this Wonderful site concerning the 1960 - 63 COB snare drum I found at a pawn shop. After all the pics I posted the drum was positively identified as a Pre Serial # COB but had a couple members state it is a Super Ludwig or Ludwig Super which to my understanding is a Pre Supraphonic? The one question I have is concerning the Imperial Lugs - To be a 100% Ludwig Super does it have to have the older Heavy Cast Imperial Lugs w/the smaller center art deco design or not? All other features have Identified it For Sure a COB Snare but the Lug Design is the only other thing I am wanting to be sure of to let me know if it is a COB Supraphonic or Ludwig Super. Thanks

Posted on 9 years ago

It "should" have the heavier Imperial lugs and the smaller design in the middle. Not sure when the deco design changed. I say "should" because I've learned here that sometimes parts show up on Ludwigs that may or may not be in the right ballpark when dating a drum. Hope that makes it more clear for ya, ha!

I joined the forum with LOTS of questions about a snare that I'm confident turned out to be a Super Ludwig, so I hear ya :)

Posted on 9 years ago

As for Value: 1960-63' Pre Serial COB Supraphonic or Pre Serial COB Super Ludwig - Which has more value? From what I find the Only thing that separates these 2 snare drums are the Heavy cast vs Lighter cast Imperial Lugs?

Posted on 9 years ago

I think all the COB drums up to '63 are Ludwig "Supers". Wasn't sure if you've seen this article yet, very informative.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27918&d=...

"Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail". John Wooden

Blaemire / Jenkins-Martin drums.

http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Posted on 9 years ago

I really Appreciate leading me to this article. It seems the more I learn about these snare drums the less "for sures" I have. In the article there is Nothing mentioned about the "Heavy Cast" Imperial Lugs w/smaller art deco center design & when those were used on these drums??? It does seem the article dates my drum 1962 = red felt baseball bat muffler with the welded seam? Wow...Hard to know for sure.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here