Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Ludwig Super Sensitive - They Thought It Was Pitted

I picked up yet another snare last night. It was listed on the GC website as a local listing. Stopped by just to check it out, but ended up taking it home.

A 1965 Super Sensitive with everything original except the batter head. The workers thought it was in bad shape, but all of the chrome was just covered in that splotchy condensation stain. The stuff that goes away with a quick sudsy bath and Flitz.

After cleaning the shell, it really only has a small amount of minor raised pin prick areas, a couple deeper pits and one or two small scratches. The lugs have really small evenly distributed pin pits, but they should clean up just fine.

The hoops are COB, the reso head is the original Weather Master Snare head and it has the original Ludwig 10 strand separate adjustment wires. The throw-off mechanism appeared to function normally too.

After a good cleaning, this snare is going to be a very good player's drum and might even be for sale. ;)

-Tim

Posted on 9 years ago

Great find!

Mike

Posted on 9 years ago

I love Super Sensitives. Great drum. You found a nice one. :D

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

I'm assuming by the title that you got a really good deal on it. Nice one. Everybody loves a good keystone...

Posted on 9 years ago

Not a good deal, but fair if I eventually decide to sell it. For some reason Super Sensitives don't command great resell prices. Good for the buyer, but not for the seller. It doesn't make sense, because this was Ludwig's top of the line flagship snare.

I took into consideration the following before pulling the trigger:

-overall above average condition for a 1965 chrome over aluminum shell

-all pieces were present (i.e. tension rods)

-original reso head

-original wires

-the early style super sensitive mechanism was still functional and smooth

-didn't know at the time, but bonus on the COB hoops

Since the drum was just traded-in and GC never deals on used listed prices less than 30 days. I could have waited the 30 days to negotiate on the price, but someone was going to buy it, if I didn't.

-Tim

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here