Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

Ludwig Super Sensitive problem... I am a real vintage noob here.

Hey! I just bought a Ludwig 1970s kit in Black Panther that came with a Luddy Super Sensitive snare 14x5...

Problem is... I have no idea how the snare works. My problem is a very noobish one...

How exactly do I take out the snare wires and the strainer? I don't really know what screw drivers to use or whatever. I'm having problems here. :/

Any help and additional tips with the snare and my problem will be deeply appreciated.

Posted on 14 years ago

Is there a reason why you want to dismantle the strainer? Is it broken or need parts or are you trying to clean it?

Can you post a photo of the kits and snare?

Thanks

David

Posted on 14 years ago

I don't have pics at the moment, but I wanna clean up the shell. :)

Posted on 14 years ago

I just cleaned a Super, and what a pain. The removal of the snares is easy enough... flip the drum over and turn the adjustment knobs until you have enough slack to slip the snares out of the bracket on each side. Removing the strainers is a bear, and I will just say there are many small parts involved, and be very careful where you disassemble it.... over a carpet is not a good locale.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

You will need an allen wrench. All of the other stuff will come off with your fingers.

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 14 years ago

You might want to check whats under that naugahyde wrap, could be one of the Ludwig mod finishes from that time period.

Posted on 14 years ago

From lucky

You might want to check whats under that naugahyde wrap, could be one of the Ludwig mod finishes from that time period.

NONONONONONONONONOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT DO THIS!!! The finish you have is already rare, why destroy it looking for an even more rare wrap that most likely is not there!???!!!???

The fact that this myth even exsists buggs the heck outta me!

Do a search on the forum for black panther, you will find a history thread I posted some time ago about black panther finishes AND THE MYTH ABOUT MORE RARE WRAPS UNDER THEM! DOHDOHDOHDOH

The only think I think worse that "looking under the wrap" is re-wrapping them altogether.........another member on this forum did a Bonham replica kit in green sparkle.......only problem is I found out after the fact that the 26" bass drum was originally Back Panther! I could have just about reached through the computer and smacked him upside the head for that one! One, its a rare size, two it was in a rare finish, and three I'd been looking for a 26" Ludwig in black panther for years! I would have done a swap with him (maybe even plus cash) for another 26" Ludwig I have just sitting around with NO finish on it.....it would have been even easier for him! Ugh!!

So DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT! look under the wrap for that more elusive so ugly it wouldn't sell so its rare mod orange or citrus mod or psychadelic red wrap.....it happened maybe once or twice, it WAS NOT A REGULAR OCCURANCE. Don't ruin your kit, its already a beautiful and rare finish!

Posted on 14 years ago

Woa dude, I wasn't saying destroy the wrap but I am sure there is a way to check without ruining what is there. I understand your love affair with black panther and would trade or sell you, first dibs, any drum that was just black panther. But,, if they were a mod finish under that wrap that only a mother could love it would be gone in a heartbeat.

Posted on 14 years ago

From lucky

Woa dude, I wasn't saying destroy the wrap but I am sure there is a way to check without ruining what is there. I understand your love affair with black panther and would trade or sell you, first dibs, any drum that was just black panther. But,, if they were a mod finish under that wrap that only a mother could love it would be gone in a heartbeat.

Black Panther is such a fragile finish there is no way to "just check" under it without destroying it. Like I said before, its a myth that was started by one person who found one drum where this was the case....now everyone thinks EVERY drum finished in black panther is this way......kind of like the myth that Elvin Jones started about burying his cymbals in the yard to age them......now everyone wants to try it! (see other thread in the cymbal section if you haven't been following that ludicrous idea already) Why even take the chance to see if a Mod or some other finish is under it? In today's market, the rarer finishes don't bring the premium like they used to, so just leave it be as its already rare.

And I'm not using Ebay as a basis for the market, mainly because its the same 5 or 6 sellers on their asking the same no-sale ludicrous money for everything they have, and you all know who I mean too......I'm talking real market, vintage drum shows, drum shops, craigslist....its just not worth the risk of damage in my book. Besides, the owner of them obviously likes the black panther finish, it porbably took him a long time to find them. Suppose it does have an even rarer finish underneath, then what? Rip off the black panther to make a quick buck on whatever rarer, uglier finish is under there? Ok sure, but then he has to search for that black panther kit again, more time, effort and money.....so then he finds another, do we repeat the cycle again? It just makes no sense to me....I say leave them be, its a part of their history whether they have another finish under them or not. The factory sold them as black panther and thats what they should remain.

I would say the same about any finish, not just black panther. You don't hear much about anything being under white marine pearl or oyster black do you? Again, its a myth. Maybe it happened once, but it was not a regular occurance. Leave them as Ludwig intended.

:2Cents: ok I'm off the Soap Box

Posted on 14 years ago

Yeah, I don't intend on ripping the wrap. For years, I've been a HUGE fan of Mitch Mitchell and I LOVE his black panther kit. Not to mention I think this wrap looks lovely, despite what some people say.

And, I got the snares off of the snare, feeling stupid at how easy it was. Just had to loosen the tension... :/ In the end it was much easier that taking off the snares for regular snare drums, so I'm pretty satisfied.

Anyone got any suggestions for a snare side head for this baby? I was thinking getting a diplomat weight head..

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here