Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Ludwig Super Sensitive Chrome

Hi all,

I just got a '66 Ludwig Super Sensitive with some Premier drums and cymbals for very cheap so I am happy about that. The bad part is that the chrome on the snare looks really bad. I've polished the top hoop and one lug and they look good. The shell is the big issue. A good part of the chrome is either pitted or flaking off. I know you can't do much for that but it would be nice to get it a little nicer looking. Should I try to knock off the loose chrome and just polish the rest or should I leave it? Also, does anyone know what it would cost to have the shell re-chromed? Outside of that all the parts function perfectly and the drum sounds really good. What would the value be for one in such condition?

Thanks.

Posted on 15 years ago

Also one more question. I tried the magnet to see if it is brass or not. The thing is, it sticks to parts of the shell where there is chrome but on one spot where the chrome is entirely gone and on the inside it does not. Does that mean it is brass? Thanks for all of the insight!

Posted on 15 years ago

If the shell was brass, it would be brass in color where the chrome is missing. Being the year you say it is, it is NOT brass and would be aluminum. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a brass super with the chrome issue you state above. As far as the magneet sticking where the chrome is.....you got me, it shouldn't be sticking at all.

Posted on 15 years ago

I also have a 1966 Ludwig Super Sensitive (6.5" depth) that I got last December, and it too exhibits the typical plating pitting that those drums always seems to affected by (as does my '64 Supra as well) due to the chemical reaction (or so I've been told) between the aluminum shell, copper base, and nickle (or is it chrome?) plating.

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done short of re-plating the shell...but even then methinks that the problem is bound to recur overtime.

Perhaps the solution would be to have the shells anodized once the plating is completely stripped off...but am not sure that's even a viable alternative.

By the way, since aluminum isn't a ferrous type metal magnets won't stick to it, no more than they will to copper...but am sure you folks already knew that!... :)

-elcid

"For God...King...and Spain!..." Rodrigo Dias de Vivar, El Cid...
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here