Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Ludwig Super classic or Jazz festival?

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping someone may be able to help me offer some info. on a Ludwig snare I have. It is a 1964 Ludwig, serial #9694 blue sparkle, 8 (eight) lug, 14x5.5 inch, has a baseball bat muffle and is nickel plated hardware, the inside appears to have a stamping in red ink of "FEB. 13 1964". Except for inside white paint chipping off, the shell, lugs and hoops are in great condition. It is missing the nickel tension rods, throw-off and butt-end. I would like to replace these but am not sure whether this is a super-classic or a Jazz festival and which parts I should look for. Also, should the replacement parts be nickel plated also. I have no idea what this drum might be worth and any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Help2 Geo.

Posted on 14 years ago

Please post some pics of the drum!!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

The Jazz Festival snare WAS a 5.5" deep snare until 1960 when they changed the depth to 5", and the 5.5" deep model became designated as the Super Classic. So, if the measurement is correct*, what you have is a Super Classic. And, yes, you want to get nickel-plated replacement parts...

*Make sure you're measuring the shell itself, and not the shell + rims...I've seen some people claiming to have Super Classics that turned out to be Jazz Festivals because of this.

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here