Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Ludwig Standards

Fellow drummers,

I recently purchased a set of Ludwig Standards in blue strata wrap. The kit I bought 12",14' floor and 20" BD do not have a Ludkote interior but rather a cream colour paint. Also the serial numbers are four digit instead of five. They are 1768 and run in order. The gentleman I bought them off told me he was the original owner and carried them out of the music store in Toronto before 1970. There is a 13" tom that he bought after to add to the kit which has the Ludkote interior and five digit serial number. The interior looks original and I can find no evidence of a prior Ludkote finish. Can anyone tell me if they've seen this before and is it possible they ran out of Ludkote the day these were finished?!m looking for a 13" tom to complete the kit that has the same finish if it is in fact factory done. I included a picture. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks....vince182

2 attachments
72.5 kB
105.3 kB
Posted on 15 years ago

Sorry for the late reply...but, yes, indeed, some early Ludwig Standards DID come with white interiors...and some also came with Classic lugs, too! The Standard series was a more "budget" line and Ludwig seemed to like to use what they had. So, if they were to have had some 12/14/20 shells waiting for a wrapped finish, they wouldn't have hesitated to use the white interior ones for a Strata wrap. All Ludwig lines (at that time) used the same 3-ply shells with reinforcement rings, so it was literally just a matter of wrap and hardware to differentiate them.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here