Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Ludwig Standards, hardware and finish

I am new to this site and would like to thank the administrator(s) for the opportunity to post. Of the several kits in my collection (all Ludwig) have one that poses some questions:

1. The four drum kit is the Standard version silver (sparkle, but not much) but the lugs and tension rods(bass) are all Classic. Close examination shows no evidence of replacement so sure they are original. Tom holders et al are Standard/Rocker and spike type spurs are typical inside and out. Inside finish is grey/white speckled, typical. Any idea why these would have been supplied this way? As far as I can tell these weren't available custom order???

2. Recently acquired a 5" snare with Standard lugs, mint condition, to use with the Standard kit/set (I'm old), and the finish, although advertised by a reputable drum dealer as silver sparkle, "not champagned", is noticeable tending toward slight champagne relative to my original silver kit. The references I have found show a silver sparkle and a much darker almost gold sparkle. Did Ludwig supply something in between during the '68-'71 manufacturing period??

Would appreciate any advice or reference the group might have to offer. Thanks again for the forum.

Posted on 15 years ago

It's not uncommon to find Ludwig standards with the classic lugs.

They tend to show up from time to time, and I've read theories as to exactly when they were made...search the forum here and at drumforum.org.

Ludwig made silver mist and gold mist (the standard's version of sparkles)...I've seen drums that looked more like a faded champagne...not sure if they're the silver or the gold.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here