Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Ludwig Standard serial numbers

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the year of a Ludwig Standard Strata set? The serial numbers are all close to this number 28055. The kit is in good to fair condition. Its needing a restoration but complete. How much is a 5 piece worth? Is there a good book where I can find this information? Thanks.

Dan

Posted on 15 years ago

A couple of things:

You can't put a value on a vintage set of drums without seeing the insides and close-up pictures. Ludwig Standards are a strange beast. The market is very fickle where these are concerned. Some know what they really are and some do not. The wraps are very unique and the shells are solid quality Ludwig. Even the hardware is unique. The collectable variable is gaining strength. Pinning down their value is very tough because two kits of the same wrap and the same quality will go for hundreds of dollars apart.

They only made those drums from very late 60's to very early 70's...about three years (give or take a few months). (this does not take into account the crappy "Standards" much later on)

They stamped the shells inside with dates - check for it.

These drums go pretty cheap when compared to other comparable Ludwig kits. They are increasing in value as of late.

If the kit is in rough enough shape to need a "restoration", I can assume the hardware, shells, and wrap have been abused. If that's the case, it's only going to net a couple of hundred (if that).

If the kit is in "clean up" shape - i.e. it could use a good cleaning and then it will be great - then it's worth quite a bit more. That would put it in the 400-600 dollar range.

If it is "complete" with all appropriate hardware and such and all that is in good shape, it's worth even more. I would put it in the 500-900 range (depending on finish).

There are so many variables when shopping for vintage gear that without pictures and getting your hands dirty, it's really hard to put a figure on value. It's kind of like buying a used vintage VW. You really have to get on the ground and under the frame to know what it's worth.

Posted on 15 years ago

Bring the pictures ... and the greediness will grow

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here