Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Ludwig standard avocado strata!

I have been wanting standards for about a year now thanks to this site and all of the knowledge! I just got back from picking these up, 1971 standards for 300! Everything is in great condition, it is missing the mufflers but oh well!

My question is this,

Should I get the edges recut?

I have Tom Schultz from TJS drums do my edges, he redid my edges on the Tama superstar with rerings and did a fantastic job,

So should I get the edges cut again?

It has been over 40 years, though they look fine, I'm sure it couldn't hurt to have a touch up.

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

They look fine but you are thinking of recutting them? Get ready for the flame thrower!!!!

electricit

-Adam

Posted on 10 years ago

Flamethrower? I doubt know yet I was seeing what everyone else thought, more of a touch up I guess, it needs new skins bad though!

Posted on 10 years ago

If it isn't broke don't fix it.

Posted on 10 years ago

congrats on the drums. please do not have the edges recut.

mike

Posted on 10 years ago

From mlayton

congrats on the drums. please do not have the edges recut.mike

Thanks, seems the answer is a no from everyone, may I ask why? I always thought it was good to keep up on that every 20+ years or so, or when the drum wasn't leveled?

Posted on 10 years ago

from a drum collectors stand point, its just generally viewed as a negative thing. it does take away from the value substantially. it is also perceived as being a basis for changing "the sound" of the vintage drum.

mike

Posted on 10 years ago

From mlayton

from a drum collectors stand point, its just generally viewed as a negative thing. it does take away from the value substantially. it is also perceived as being a basis for changing "the sound" of the vintage drum.mike

I didn't even think of that! Thanks Mike!

Posted on 10 years ago

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

No cutting!

Repeat after me:

No cutting! Cutting is bad!

No cutting! Cutting is bad!

My work here is done...

fishwaltz
Posted on 10 years ago

Just for a fair representation.............

As I have said before on threads about this....if the edges are bad such that they can not sound good (like we know most Luddies can sound) then they indeed do deserve a re-cut. Give them a CHANCE to sound like they were intended by the engineers who designed them.

So - until you get them on a perfect table (Tom) then it is a mystery.

All in favor in leaving them alone - IF they sound as intended by Ludwig.

If they sound as good as they look - (after new heads) then you should be golden! BTW - just a reminder - do not install new heads if you suspect the edges are not perfect. Never a good idea to seat new heads on bad edges and thus ruin them. Likewise, new edges not only deserve but require new heads.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here