Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Ludwig Speed King Paint

PAINT.....

Does anyone have any idea what it is and/or how you get that unusual paint texture on the Speed King frames? I took one to a Sherwin-Williams store, and they had no clue, I took it to a MAACO Auto Paint shop and they had no idea. It’s an interesting looking texture/pattern that, upon close examination, looks almost like a two step process...as if you spray the grey on and then spray something else that makes bubbles that when they pop leaves those little circular spots all over the paint. Doesn’t leave a texture that you can feel, seems very smooth...not like crinkle paint on some of the other types of pedals. Do you know if there’s some “secret recipe” that gets this result? Or is it a specific type of paint that produces that effect?

Posted on 13 years ago

This http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=hammered+finish+spray+paint&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ADRA_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8681349697043538255&sa=X&ei=pqVjTs3KDcPYgAf26qGgCg&ved=0CE4Q8gIwBQ# takes you to a site that shows an example of the hammered finish spray paint. The shop guys use this at work to paint our pumps,and I stabbed a can and painted my cement mixer's drum and frame and it is pretty durable stuff. The can said to just spray right over the rust and it has encapsulating qualities that keep the rust in check. I cannot remember the exact brand of the paint I used, but it is rattle can stuff they get at Grainger's. It was a bluish-teal colored paint, similair to the color of the Slingerland kick pedals. The paint in the link is probably similair to the stuff I have used.

I did a bit more snooping and this http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RUSTOLEUM-Spray-Paint-4CY57?cm_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-BTM_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPBBZ2 is the exact paint that I have used with good success, only it was a different color.

toodles

drumhack LoLoLoLoCar Driving2D' DrummerSumo Dudeguitar3

I also painted my cement mixer with some of this I procured, and it held up

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 13 years ago

That is pretty sad that someone at a Sherwin Williams paint store wouldn't have a clue.

pretty much any hardware store or big box home center will carry that type of paint. It is just as easy to apply as any other type of spray paint. Once you paint it it creates the mottled finish on it's own. The big thing is not to put too much paint on but also not too little. I redid my wfl speed king 15 years ago and it still looks great. I bead blasted all of the old paint off and degreased the body before painting. If you don't have the ability to do that, degrease the body then use fine grit sandpaper to sand the entire surface and feather out any chips. Then paint.

Posted on 13 years ago

[COLOR="Sienna"][SIZE="5"]Thanks![/SIZE][/COLOR]

I never cease to be amazed at the wealth of information I find here on this site...You guys are great.Clapping Happy2

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here