I recently had a Ludwig Flat Base Cymbal Stand base (bottom section) that was not gripping the next (middle) section tightly enough, even though the wing screw was super tight (with pliers, even!). It wasn't slipping, but I could turn it and spin it pretty easily.

I am guessing the cause is the insert being mis-shapen. Here's how I solved the problem:

DISCLAIMER: I leave the middle sections in place (at height) and I only remove the top sections when packing up the stands, and I use a hose clamp as a memory lock, so it was easy to see where I needed to put the tape:

I took some hockey/athletic tape (which is thin, stretchy and slightly tacky to the touch) and wrapped the middle section in the correct spot (right below my "memory lock" hose clamp) with one layer of tape. I had to slightly force the middle section in the base section, but the tape held in place. I think with the slightly larger diameter and the tackiness of the tape, it now holds securley and tightly. Again, I don't have to remove that section for pack up, and the tape is completely hidden. If I ever did want to remove/adjust that section, it could be done easily, and the just re-tape it again.

What is your method of fixing this problem?

V