Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Ludwig Snare(acrolite)

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey there - There's a bunch of info on this site about cleaning up drums (including removing rust). Here's a recent thread - RUST!!!

As for the black marks (up where the heads go), I'm not sure you can remove them. If it's deep scratches which have gone through the thin anodized layer and started to oxidize, then I think you're stuck with them. If it's something else, then maybe just a soap and water combo or similar. You don't want to use anything abrasive on the Acro shell as it will wear right through that thin, grey anodized finish.

Older Acro's were bare aluminum with no finish to speak of. I purchased a 67' shell which was in pretty good shape, but had the usual scratches and swirls that these drums all seem to get. I chose to clean up as best I could, the scratches and such, and had the shell powder coated in gloss black. Added brass tube lugs, hoops, etc... and made myself a Black Beauty look-a-like.

Sounds like an Acro, but looks a bit better - Here's a link to a picture. Blackrolite Beauty

If the black marks won't come out, you can just live with it, or maybe do an interesting project snare - These days, the color options for powder coating are pretty cool.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

Would you suggest having it re-powder coated in the same color?

Recent Purchases

Working On

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

big daddy, that [COLOR="Black"]Blackrolite Beauty [/COLOR]is the coolest!

I have 2 Acro's I've recently cleaned up. I used one of those Mr. Clean magic eraser type sponges w/soap & water. I'm not sure how abrasive they really are but it worked good. I have one of those retro kit Trick throw-offs installed on the one Acro. I love it.

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

They look amazing. Thanks for the help. Where would you suggest buying the muffler the one on the one I saw is not original.Oh, and did yours have the black stuff on it.

Recent Purchases

Working On

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

My Acro with the Trick throw doesn't have the original muffler either cause the screw is on top verses the bottom like my other Acro...so what! It's only an Acro. I'm sure they can be found on eBay. The black stuff...depends on if it's just a smudge on the drum or not. I did have some black smudges also that cleaned up. Kinda like a shoe smudge on the kitchen floor! Good luck!

Posted on 15 years ago

Nice work Olimpass - They look great. Like I said, it depends on what the "black marks" are. Good tip on the Magic Eraser.

Since the shell I had was bare, and I already had a B&O Acrolite in pretty nice shape, I decided to be creative.

DrumBum - Yes, you could probably have the drum powder coated in a similar finish. If there are any deep scratches, dings or dents, they will show through the powder coating. Dings and dents are tough to remove, but scratches can be taken out with some scotch-brite or very fine emory cloth, assuming you are powder coating.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here