Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

ludwig snare

I have a 20's vintage Ludwig snare that I'd like to have "massaged" back into true and possibly replated. It's not badly out of whack but there are a couple of areas that need attention. I have all of the parts, still not sure whether or not I'll be using the same throw or not. Anyway, if anyone knows where I can send it for some TLC that'd be great.

4 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

How much out of round is the shell?

Not sure about re-plating. Possibly diminish the value of the snare...

I restored a Ludwig 6.5X 14 1937 Silver Anniversary model, that could have ussed re-plating but sooooooo glad I didn't. Did you try some mild cymbal polish?

Kelly

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]OK...so it's COB, right ?

A reputable replating job will set you back a good $100-200...then the concern would be...does the new chroming look TOO new ?

Out of round shell ? Ouch....how much ? or are there just some dented areas ?

The latter can be dealt with a good rupbber mallet and some towels, and a gentle hammer-touch.

The former...I dunno, that gets tricky.

The shell has a bunch of factory holes...so you could conceivably get a threaded rod to insert through the holes and across the interior of the shell. Get thumbscrews and metal washers and rubber washers on each end of the rod, outside of shell, and slowly over a certain period just tighten the thumbscrews each day to slowly bring it back into round (?)

In theory...it seems like that could work...

Admittedly I have never done that.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here