Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Ludwig Snare - why so valuable?

I am new to the forum... Can anyone tell me why these two snares brought so much money on ebay?

Item: 270172132908

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270172132908&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

and

Item: 120172909403

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120172909403&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

I have the same drum in WMP. I am curious if it is as valuable as these are to some people.

Thanks!

Scot

Posted on 16 years ago

They are valuable for one reason and one reason only...they have the same finish that Ringo Starr used with the Beatles. I sold a similar drum on ebay about a month ago for $2200.

Does yours have 8 lugs or 6 lugs? If it has 8, and is clean with no extra holes, than it is somewhere in the $300 dollar range.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

I thought that might be the reason...unbelievable. The snare Ringo played didn't even have the classic throw. Craziness...

What model is that drum?

I think mine is an 8 lugger, it is in mint condition. I paid in the high three hundreds for it this past summer. If it could bring $1500 I would sell it. sounds like I will be hanging on to it as originally planned.

Anybody have more insight let me know.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Scot

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi, Scot.

You know, it's very true that a finish can make ALL the difference insofar as value of a vintage drum. Some people who collect these things, don't even drum. They just collect "Beatle-iana". It's what is called a "cross-collectible". And, because of that, it opens up a new category of bidders. Literally, ANY drum from the 60's in Oyster Black Pearl will fetch above-average prices.

On the other hand, a "common" finish can also be desirable. If I have a mint-condition blue sparkle bass drum, matching toms/floor toms and original hardware...but I don't have a blue sparkle snare drum to complete the kit the way I want to complete it...I don't want to use a Supra...and then, all of a sudden a minty blue sparkle snare drum comes up for bid...I am going to try to get that blue sparkle snare drum. Maybe someone else also has the same idea. How badly do I want that drum? How much am I willing to pay? How long have I been waiting for that kind of drum? All those questions must be taken into consideration.

I'll tell ya what...there is an auction on EBay right now for a completely faded Gretsch 18" bass drum and it looks like the hole for the tom mount is waaay too large to be original (I could be wrong). No hoops, t-rods or claws are included...The seams are lifted....In other words, it's not in the greatest of shape (certainly not "mint") and, yet, it has already been bid to over $1000.00! WHY? Because: Gretsch name + vintage era 18" bass drum = rarely-available = highly desirable

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here