Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Ludwig Snare, vintage 1959

I would like to restore a 1959 Ludwig snare. When the head is struck with a stick, it make an un appealing sound. The sounds is a metalic vibrating sound, not the appealing snap/ snare sound. If I hold make hand with a little pressure on the top head, it makes the snap/ snare sound I think it should make. There is no dampener device on this old model. The snare are original but are held onto the drum with string which was a more modern attempt to repair the drum. See photo. Any ideas on how to make it sound better?

http://img527.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=repair01.jpg

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]The string isn't the problem if its tensioned correctly.

The snares kinda look shot...did you try the drum with new snare wires ?

Also, experiment with head tuning.

Finally, is the bearing edge OK on both sides of the shell ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

what is the bearing edge? I am going to replace the snares. I noticed the bottom head is "dented" in along one edge. I will also rotate the head so the new snares don't bonce off that dented area on the head.

Posted on 15 years ago

You should probably change the snare side head too. Also, make sure that the snares are centered end to end and are perfectly straight. The snare side head should be pretty tight.

Posted on 15 years ago

From vintagetone

what is the bearing edge? I am going to replace the snares. I noticed the bottom head is "dented" in along one edge. I will also rotate the head so the new snares don't bonce off that dented area on the head.

The bearing edge is the rim of the shell that makes contact with the drum head. I would guess that it's a matter of proper tuning which may not be possible if the heads are in bad shape, or the bearing edge is damaged, or the shell is out of round, etc.

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is it insane to practice?
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey,

I have a Slingy snare that did this. I pondered that stupid thing for a bit and realized (thanks to the guys here!) that it didn't have much of a snare bed on it. So, I cut one. It is now one of the crispest and sensitive and warm snares I've ever played. Something to think about......the bed.

Posted on 15 years ago

Good idea...oh, whats a snare bed?

Posted on 15 years ago

The snare bed is located on either end of the bearing edge of the snare side of the drum, where the snares' string contacts the drum. It is cut lower than to bearing edge to provide effective contact between the snares and the head. If you take the bottom head off, you'll probably notice this sort of bow on the edge.

I would recommend replacing the snares and the bottom head. If one of the snares is not making contact with the head as the others are, it'll buzz until the cows come home!

Matt

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here