Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Ludwig snare project - before and after

Hi. This isn't a completely faithful restoration, but I did breath new life into a poor old Ludwig rocker shell, and I know I always like a look at what people are up to with drums, so thought I'd share it with you.

I decided I wanted to use some spare parts and create a deep wooden snare (10x13")

This was an old Ludwig rocker shell, with metallic-look wrap that was more scratched than it looks here.

First, Iremoved the wrap - stubborn glue made this quite a job! - and sanded the wood.

Second, I applied an olive wood wash, which is part varnish part woodstain, which allows the natural wood to show through.

Next, another coat of this, then a standard wood varnish after that, for good luck.

The hoops and skins are fom a tama stagestar, and the lugs I used are Leedy, I think.

The throw and butt are the most ludwig-faithful parts, as they look like those on my supe - think I bought them as spares.

The finished result is only 6- lug, but it sounds pretty decent, but it takes a good cranking up - needless to say, it's a pretty full sound - the glossed interior of the shell helps I'm sure.

Anyway, good use of odd spare parts!

2 attachments
Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 16 years ago

Forgot to ask - has anyone got a pic of the rocker lugs that this drum originally had, just out of interest? Thanks!

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 16 years ago

Cool project snare! I do the same things when I come across abandoned shells. Can't help you on the lugs though - I'm not a Ludwig Guy. Check out the Vintage Drum ID link above and see if you can find a Rocker in there (doubt it, but worth a look).

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

An Arab me wore new NFL jerseys was interviewed at a U.S checkpoint.Guard: your name please?Arab: runescape moneyG:Sex?A: 6 items a week.G: I mean,male or female?A: It doesn't matter,sometimes even camelG: holy cow!A: yes cows and dogs too!G: man,isn't that hostile?A: hostile,dogstyle any free style!G;oh dear!A Deer?No deer,they run fast....

[img]http://bizseas.com/j.jpg[/img],NFL jerseys cool!
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here