Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Ludwig Snare identification??

I have a late 70's-80's Ludwig Ludalloy snare, blue/olive badge with curved edges. It is chrome finished, with some pitting, and very lightweight compared to a Black Beauty (brass/bronze?). I believed it to be an Acrolite (Aluminium) when i bought it 2nd hand, due to its light weight, but have researched and found it could either be brass or steel. How do i know? No info on the Ludwig web site.

Posted on 17 years ago

After much web searching, i have discovered that i most likely have a late 70's supraphonic ludalloy with aluminium/metal blend shell - model L?402 (commonly refered to as the John Bonham model). The pitting it has is very minor compared to what i have seen, with no flaking, so i guess i have an alloy shell where the crome DID stay on. I paid $US350 for it in the early 90's. I must say i am very surprised at their current low dollar value, considering the sound and overall build quality. You could pay a grand for a new snare, and still not beat the original ludwig sound. Lucky me!

Posted on 17 years ago

You got it. All of that info is located on the main web site.

Many if us were at the Chicago Drum show this weekend and did not get to the forum as much.

David

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here