Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Ludwig Snare help

Hi folks,

Here is a lone Ludwig snare, 5x14, amongst a lot of Gretsch drums I'm getting ready to sell. Sorry I didn't get a picture of the Ludwig tombstone emblem, but it is there on the drum. There is some very slight pitting on the lugs.

Any information and an estimated value would be appreciated.

Peter V

2 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

I'm just trying to learn Ludwig drums... so wait for a better estimate than mine before listing anything but I'm thinking it's a Supraphonic with a second generation P-83 strainer.

**They do seem to be selling in the $300 range every day with a few with rare ones going wild.. again I'm really just taking my best shot to see if I'm close to what the real experts with offer.

Very nice drum! Those look like the older heavier lugs.. I guess more clues from the badge, the dampener, etc would nail it down.

Great section in Rob Cook's The Ludwig Book on this drum... that is if I have correctly identified it.

Something like this maybe http://cgi.ebay.com/EARLY-60S-CHROME-OVER-BRASS-LUDWIG-SUPRAPHONIC-SNARE_W0QQitemZ260272454168QQihZ016QQcategoryZ38097QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

ill bump my head in before others see this too...

that is certainly a supraphonic and looks to be in near mint condition but i think it would be tough to fetch over $500 for it.

Posted on 16 years ago

wow, after seeing that eBay example i stand corrected. were only the first few years COB? i didnt know there was such a difference in price.

Posted on 16 years ago

Looks like somone used steel wool on the shell.

Also, what is the serial number on the badge?

David

Posted on 16 years ago

The usual charecteristics are the Keystone badge with no serial number, a round knob tone control and crimped snare beds.

Here is a little article about the topic. There are many drums that do not fit the charecteristics.

David

Posted on 16 years ago

I think those drums in excellent shape bring around $300.00. It does look like someone used steel wool on the shell. That could hurt the value a little bit. You have to remember that Ludwig made billions of those drums.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here