Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

ludwig snare help

Hello, I have an early 70's acrolite snare and the only problem with it is that the snare butt on the strainer is missing. It's that tiny little metal piece that you screw into the strainer that holds the snare wire plastic strip tight. So I bought a new strainer and it fits great except that the "action" is too loose so I was hoping that I could tighten the action on the strainer. Is there any way to do this? Also I tried to change the snare butt to the old strainer and for some reason the screws might be just barely off because they won't fit so trying the old strainer and the new butt won't work. I'd appreciate any help, this is a big headache that i'd like to solve. Thanks.

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Hello, I have an early 70's acrolite snare and the only problem with it is that the snare butt on the strainer is missing. It's that tiny little metal piece that you screw into the strainer that holds the snare wire plastic strip tight. So I bought a new strainer and it fits great except that the "action" is too loose so I was hoping that I could tighten the action on the strainer. Is there any way to do this? Also I tried to change the snare butt to the old strainer and for some reason the screws might be just barely off because they won't fit so trying the old strainer and the new butt won't work. I'd appreciate any help, this is a big headache that i'd like to solve. Thanks.

I'm confused...

Posted on 17 years ago

pictures, please

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Basically I just need to tighten the "action" on my new ludwig snare strainer. The arm is way too loose and falls back down too easily when I hit the drum, so is there any way to do this?

Posted on 17 years ago

Let's clarify

The strainer and the butt are two different parts.

The bar you are calling the butt is not that.

If the strainer is too loose then you need to tighten the strainer knob and reset the string or plastic piece.

If the holes do not match up on the bar then you are out of look with that.

Until you find the the correct bar you can just use snare string and tie it through the holes where the screws would go into.

So to tighten the action on the strainer tighten the string.

So from the beginning, turn the drum over and disengage the strainer.

Put the snare wires in the middle of the drum and set the butt and strainer with the string at that point.

Then once they are set turn the drum over, turn the strainer on. IF the snares are loose then tighten the strainer knob until they are snug.

The strainer should stay in place with no problem.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks a lot

Posted on 17 years ago

To add...

There is a trick to this.

Set the tension screw to an 1/8" exposed and then pull the wires

just snug until a rattle is heard. ( tighten the throw side now )

This takes practice.

Ideally ( IMHO ) U should need no more than 2 R 3 turns before yours, mine,

anyone's drum is barking.

Another thought from an Olde School mentor is that plastic strips slip.

Go with quality cord and a square knot.

Glorious Bang...

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 17 years ago

FYI... the bottom part of my 70's Acrolite strainer has no threads for screws. It's the P85 Black Center and from what I can tell, it was never intended to have screws in it. Just tie some good knots and you're all set.

Scroll to the bottom and click on the picture of the P85 HERE

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here