Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Ludwig snare and Slingerland Kit

Hey, I have an early 70's ludwig acrolite or chrome snare drum and a mid 60's slingerland drum kit that I'm looking to fix up into pristine condition. I was wondering what the best way to clean the snare drum is and what techniques I should use in fixing up the kit. I want to lightly sand the inside of the drum to smooth out some of the cracks and bubbles and go over the edges too but I don't want to mess up the bearing edges. Any tips on how I should go about cleaning these drums up? Anything will help. Thanks.

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Hey, I have an early 70's ludwig acrolite or chrome snare drum and a mid 60's slingerland drum kit that I'm looking to fix up into pristine condition. I was wondering what the best way to clean the snare drum is and what techniques I should use in fixing up the kit. I want to lightly sand the inside of the drum to smooth out some of the cracks and bubbles and go over the edges too but I don't want to mess up the bearing edges. Any tips on how I should go about cleaning these drums up? Anything will help. Thanks.

I would disassemble all the drums. Clean the chrome with Noxon or another chrome cleaner. Avoid steel wool. If it's a pearl finish, clean the shells with soap and water and then polish with Novus #2. Don't do any sanding unless the drums have already been modified. The inner plies of Slingerland drums commonly have some bubbles and cracking...that's acceptable. Sanding or refinishing will devalue the drums. If they've already been drilled, sanded or refinished, knock yourself out! Rich

Posted on 17 years ago

thanks rich i've already disassembled the drums and am about to start with the cleaning. They haven't been finished drilled or sanded, that I can tell, but they have been painted white. the paint isn't too thick but it's covering up the natural wood finish so would it hurt if i sanded? Also I really want to smooth over the bearing edges and get them into excellent shape so how would you guys recommend doing this?

Posted on 17 years ago

also how should i clean the hardware? would noxon work good and is there any other techniques to getting these drums into perfect condition? i can't stress enough how i am intending on getting this sounding as close to perfect as i can so i'll even consider the most OCD techniques...thanks

Posted on 17 years ago

If the insides of the Slingerlands are painted white, then that was done by a previous owner. Could have been to cover up the sometimes used tan paint or natural wood. If you want, any paint strippers will do the trick...use in ventilation and be careful of the outside of the drum. It's a serious job...you may be better off leaving them alone on the inside, especially if the paint job is done neatly. Messing with edges affects re-sale value. If the edges are in decent, clean shape...leave them alone. If they're banged up, have a pro do it. Many drum shops will put on "new" edges...some folks, like Jack Lawton can make them close to original. Restorers can chime in with how to do it yourself, but I never modify my old drums!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here