Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

ludwig snare advice please

hey people this is my first post so be gentle!!

ive been playing for 20+ years and have been using a 14x5 premier birch snare for ages now and its great,but now i want something different/louder etc,

ive always fancied a 6 1/2 black beauty but have never used one,so what i want to ask is:

are the modern bb's and supra's any good ??,or should i wait for a vintage example??

what is the main difference soundwise between the bb's and supra's??

any help or advice would be great

thanks

Posted on 16 years ago

[COLOR=black]This question has been asked, and they are the same sound if you compare brass to brass etc...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]The vintage version will always have a certain vibe about it and they can be picked up for a good price...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Also check on an Acrolite as well.. An even better price and an all around nice drum. 8 lugs and not 10 lugs[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Also, remember the BB's were brass and most Supra's are not, so refine exactly what you want.. A brass drum or a ludalloy version. The price is much different from brass to ludalloy[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]There are Ludwig people here that can help in this answer better then me.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]David[/COLOR]

Posted on 16 years ago

I just received my 65 Acrolite yesterday and it is fantastic. And David is right, you can get them for a good price.

Posted on 16 years ago

I bought a 70's Acro off the advice of members here and I am really happy with it. I still wanted a deeper drum however, and recently picked up a 6.5x14 70's Super Sensitive that needed some tlc. I gigged with that drum for the first time last weekend and it was truly amazing.

That being said, I'd advise you to start with an Acrolite as you should be able to get one for under $100 shipped off ebay. See how the Ludwig works for you and decide if you want to step up a level. The price jump is significant.

Posted on 16 years ago

Welcome to the Acrolite club!!

I have 3 now. A 70's which is all original, a '64 which is on it's way to me as we speak and a '67 which I'm in the process of customizing (it was a raw shell when I got it).

Great drums - Enjoy!!

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

jsp883,

The old ones and the new ones are essentially made the same way...so the sound between them is pretty consistent. The differences are mostly in the overt way the modern ones display the badge.:2Cents: The older ones have better components (like the P83 throwoff and better rims)...but the sound is, has been and (hopefully) always will be the same -GREAT!

But...just to add two more cents... I think the other great thing about Ludwig snare drums is that they have a FEEL that is "softer"..."squishy-er" response. I can't really say why that is! It's just a more comfortable drum to play.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

thanks for all your replies,

wasnt sure if to go for the bb or supra,now the decision is even harder because i hadnt considered an acro!!(and i can really only afford to get one snare)

at the moment i generally play punk/rock stuff and after talking to various people and a bit of research i still may go for a bb,anyway thanks for all your advice

jsp883

Posted on 16 years ago

From O-Lugs

jsp883,The old ones and the new ones are essentially made the same way...so the sound between them is pretty consistent. The differences are mostly in the overt way the modern ones display the badge.:2Cents: The older ones have better components (like the P83 throwoff and better rims)...but the sound is, has been and (hopefully) always will be the same -GREAT!But...just to add two more cents... I think the other great thing about Ludwig snare drums is that they have a FEEL that is "softer"..."squishy-er" response. I can't really say why that is! It's just a more comfortable drum to play.

Olugs......so the new ones are also the famous ludalloy ??? I thought they were plain old steel.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here