Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Ludwig Set 1963 with A Zildjians

Hey guys... I really enjoy perusing the site, and just recently decided to register because I wanted to make a post about my drums. I have a Ludwig set that my parents bought me back in the 1980s, that I finally dug out of the attic. We bought the set from a retired drummer outside Philadelphia who originally bought the set new in the 60s. I have not played for 10 years and am undecided on what to do with them at this point. Unfortunately, I don’t have plans to play them anymore, but did enjoy my years doing so.

I am no expert in vintage drums, so I would very much appreciate if anyone can verify what I’ve researched. I would be interested in value & tips for restoration. If I were to sell, I’d rather they all stayed together as a complete set.

Here are the specifics.

Badges: all with Ludwig Keystone badge, no serial number

Finish: all with Black Diamond Sparkle – Not sure on this but it is the closest color/pattern I could find in the catalogs from the early 1960s timeframe. Actually looks a little green under artificial light. For years I called it my green Ludwig set because it seemed to have a green tint.

Drums

Snare: 14 1/2” x 6 1/2” dated stamped on inside FEB 8, 1963

Floor Tom: 16 1/2” x 21” high

Tom: 13 1/2” x 10” high

Bass Drum: 20” (with Rogers bass drum pedal- not sure if this pedal is original)

Cymbals – they seem to date to early 1960s but not sure.

20” crash with 1 3/16” avedis ziljian stamp (all solid letters)

14” hi-hat with 1 3/16” avedis zildjian stamp (all solid letters) Has a Speed King / WFL pedal.

22” ride with 1 3/4” avedis zildjian stamp (hollow letter Zildjian Co) – the ride has punched holes in it from the original owner who installed ‘sizzlers’.

Overall, the drums and cymbals are in very good condition and don’t seem to have any modifications –except for the holes in the ride. There is significant wear on the wooden bass drum rims. The hi-hat has a new top clasp piece in the pictures (I still have the original part). All the hardware & cymbal stands seem to be original (except maybe the bass pedal per note above). The stand connecting the tom to the bass drum never worked right – I am not sure if its even put together correctly, as it never seemed to hold the tom in a comfortably firm position. If anyone can direct me to a picture of how the connection is supposed to look, I would appreciate it. The seat seems to be the original, as well as the drum cases. The cases are black and unmarked while the bass drum has a soft wrap. Some of the drums still have the original ‘weather master’ heads believe it or not.

I am missing the lug screws for the back of the bass drum – I know I have them somewhere but need to find the box. There is also a foot pedal for the floor tom that I need to find.

The drums and especially the snare always did and still do have an awesome sound. The ride & crash are a big too thick for my tastes, and the hi-hat still sounds and works perfectly.

Let me know what you all think & I have more pictures if anyone is interested.

Thanks much !

Steve-o

Posted on 16 years ago

I'm not a Ludwig expert per se, but I'll tell you what I know. The finish is called Black Diamond Pearl. Sometimes is can fade to what looks to be a greenish tint. Looks like your drums are early 60's era, judging by the pre-serial badges. That floor tom you have is extremely rare. From the looks of the pictures and the measurements you provided it looks to be a 16 (diameter), by 18 (depth) floor tom.

It's nice to see a nice, original set like that. I bet those things would clean up really nice. The 22" ride is from the late 50's, so it's quite possible it was purchased at the same time with the kit.

I'm sure the Ludwig geeks will chime in with more detailed info....

:::Ryan B
Posted on 16 years ago

OH MY GOSH! We need someone to confirm what that floor tom is! I've NEVER seen one like that -EVER!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Looks like the floor tom is a cocktail drum.

There might be a "reversible" bass drum pedal in the missing box of parts.

Posted on 16 years ago

Good one, Rich. That's gotta be it. Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Yep, Rich is right as usual. Probably a cocktail drum. That still makes it pretty damn rare though. Definitely see if the reversible pedal is around somewhere.

:::Ryan B
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here