Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Ludwig script logo cymbal arm mount position?

hey all,

I recently bought a 1963 BOP ludwig kit on ebay and when it arrived, i noticed that there is NO mount where the cymbal arm would attach. No extra holes or anything. First, is this normal?, was the hardware installed (or not installed) after leaving the factory. And, I assume adding the mount would devalue the drum?

thank, Andrew

Bowing

Posted on 11 years ago

first off what configuration is the set?

I have a 67 "super classic" (13,16,22) with no cymbal mount, and everyone tells me it's actually a "deluxe classic" which came with two cymbal stands and a heavy duty snare stand. its also possible your set was part of a Blue note double bass set, and its always possible that your set was ordered that way. in my experience very few sets are "catalog" correct.

as for value... modifing original drums usually hurts value. just get another stand.

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 11 years ago

> And, I assume adding the mount would devalue the drum?

Not necessarily because a lot of them came from the factory -with- the cymbal mount. If you do a nice, clean job of positioning, drilling and installing the mount, I don't think it will hurt resale value at all, if that's what you really want. I wouldn't alter the drum myself. If that's how it was made, that's how it should remain. But if you really, really want a cymbal mount, no harm done if installed properly.

Welcome to VDF, Andrew!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks guys!!

No I dont really want the cymbal mount, just trying to figure out what I have here. I can just use a stand for playing, but since this is my first vintage kit/restoration, I want to clean it up and make it look as good as possible...without doing something negative.

It is 22, 13, 16 in the blue oyster pearl and the bass has the older 1303 telescoping spurs. The wrap is in good shape but is pretty dirty and not very bright. It has a good cleaning in its future.

I bought this off "the bay" froma guy who got it in 1969 from the orriginal owner so I'm not sure how it came, or if it had another bass.

Thanks for the help! I'll get some pics up soon.

Andrew

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here