Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Ludwig SBP Downbeat "plus"

A few weeks ago I was fortunate enough to find a 1965 Ludwig Sky Blue Pearl (SBP) Downbeat kit. In order to purchase it, however, I would also have to purchase a Ludwig 80s SBP kit (22/13/14/16), since the owner wasn't willing to split the kits. Included in the sale would be several vintage A. Zildjian cymbals, two sets of vintage A. Zildjian hi-hats, a pair of matching cymbal stands, a vintage Slingerland snare stand and some sort of "hybrid" COB pre-serial KB Super-Sensitive snare.

This scenario presented quite a challenge since I had neither the interest nor the funding for anything but the Downbeat kit.

Both kits were definitely "projects". Parts were missing, other parts were in terrible condition, both functionally and cosmetically, and both kits needed some serious TLC. Nevertheless, I've been a sucker for the SBP wrap ever since I got my first SBP Clubdate kit new back in 1963.

The seller and I eventually agreed upon a price for everything (which was my only option!). I left a deposit with the understanding I would have a week to pay the balance. If I failed to do so, the drums would be going to a new home but it wouldn't be mine. Fortunately I had some excess items that I was able to sell rather quickly to cover the balance and we completed the transaction. Cool1

The real fun began once I got everything home. You can only imagine the tears of joy flowing from my wife's eyes as I brought in the "motherload." (RIGHT!)

I stripped both kits, cleaned and polished all the hardware as well as the shells and was fortunate enough to find the missing pieces that were needed to get both kits "up and running". I also had to gut and replace most of the heads.

The cymbals, as well as all the stands were in horrific condition so I had to spend a great deal of time cleaning them also. At this time I still don't have a clue what I'm going to do with the "hybrid" snare drum.DOH

The pic I posted shows the Downbeat kit after my cleaning and polishing efforts. I added a 16" SBP KB floor tom to the pic from another kit of mine. The snare in the pic is a SBP KB Jazz Festival. I've also got a COB KB snare that will work great with this kit.

This was one of my most time-consuming projects but I'm very happy with the end result. The great news is that I've recently sold the 80s SBP kit I was forced to buy with the Downbeat. As a result of that sale I basically got the Downbeat kit for free. Strange how things seem to work out sometimes!LoLoLoLo

THANKS for taking the time to view the kit and listen to my story!

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Wow!! What a great story! Beautiful kit! Nice fireplace too!!

Cheers,Ed

Posted on 13 years ago

I believe you struck pay dirt here, WOW!! great story, and kit!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

VERY NICE!

Cool1

nashu.bandcamp.com
Posted on 13 years ago

Beautiful! Downbeats are such wonderful kits, and SBP is such a great finish. Congratulations on a great find!

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 13 years ago

WHOA!

Drooling so much here the dogs think it's raining!

Jump For Joy

fishwaltz
Posted on 13 years ago

Super find!! Jump For Joy I'm glad everything worked out for you. I bet the wife was happy when you sold the 80's kit!! They just don't understand our passion for drums I guess.

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 13 years ago

That SBP is really [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]beautiful[/COLOR] ! Congats on that great kit, set up and the way it worked out for you! Party Cool1 Party

Posted on 13 years ago

THANKS to all for the positive feedback!Bowing

grantro: I can't even begin to explain my wife's excitement as the gentleman stopped by to "haul out" the 80s SBP kit (lol)! For a minute there I thought she might actually invite him to stay for dinner.

I mentioned to her that it could be worse -- that I could be out there chasing women! Her response was that it wouldn't make any difference since I couldn't "catch" them anyway and, even if I did, I probably wouldn't even remember what to do with them. Unfortunately, she might actually have a point there! (lol)

Posted on 13 years ago

Hey Old School...

That Ludwig SBP is a true, real, BEAUTY!!

Congrats. Women will never understand.....:)

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here