Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

LUDWIG RIMS -- 1960s

Did Ludwig provide chrome over brass or chrome over steel rims with its toms and snare drums from the 1960s?

I've read several publications that stated they came out of the factory with COB rims. However, I've seen a good share of Ludwig drums from this era with COS rims mounted on them. Should I make the assumption that all of these are "replacement" rims?

THANKS in advance for your help!Help2

Posted on 15 years ago

Chrome over brass rims were used up until around 1964 I believe. After that they were all chrome over steel.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 15 years ago

wflkurt:

THANKS for the feedback. Your "words of wisdom" are greatly appreciated and confirmed by the fact that my 1963 pre-serial badged kit does have the COB rims while a 1968 kit I've got has the COS rims.

Posted on 15 years ago

How do you like the sound of your COB vs COS rims on your Ludwigs oldschool?

Bopworks Hickory Jazz Drumsticks
http://www.youtube.com/user/mgimino
Posted on 15 years ago

MichaelSJ: At my age, I prefer the "older" Ludwigs with the COB rims on 'em. However, to be truthful about it, I haven't had the opportunity to give the newer (1968) kit that I've got a serious "listen to" as of yet. Once I retire this July I'll be able to spend more time with "both my children."D' Drummer

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here