Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Ludwig Replacement hoops

I just picked up a '71 5x14 Supra for a ridiculously low price. The shell is in VG shape, its just got some muck on it but virtually no pitting. The top rim is broken and the tone control and snares were missing. I have a tone control coming from ebay as we speak, but I am not sure what to do about the top hoop.

I have seen the repro Supra hoops but cant see spending that kind of money as it would void any deal I have gotten on the drum.

So my question is this, are the Ludwig replacement hoops theyre selling at Guitar Center for $30 bucks any good? How do these differ from the original Supra hoops if at all? Should I try to get a period correct one?

Thoughts and opinions?

Posted on 16 years ago

Try drummaker.com, you can pickup a cheap one there until you find the real thing. Good luck

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the link... checkin it out now. Looking at the cheapest ones, the 2.0 and 2.3mm, which one would be an appropriate match for a Supra hoop? The Drummaker die cast ones seem to be more than the Ludwig replacements.

Posted on 16 years ago

get the thinner rims. They are listed as "2.0" but they are, in actuality, "1.6". They will give you the most "Ludwig" sound...because that's what Ludwig used.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

O-Lugs, thanks that's what I wanted to know.

I am fighting the urge to buy them at Guitar Center because I really want to get the drum playable, tho I don't know if they carry a 2.0. Hopefully the frugal side will win out today and I will just buy them online. Contemplating ( at that cost) to replace top and bottom as the bottom one's got a fair amount of rust on it. I will try to clean it up first tho.

Were the original Ludwig ones stamped or cast?

Thinking out loud, how much will it impact this drums value with replacement hoops? The shell and chrome happens to be in pretty outstanding shape considering the layer of crap that was on it. There may be an outside chance I sell this drum at some point. See below...first pic is before and second one is with a little cleaning. Surprised myself...

Posted on 16 years ago

stamped steel

It will impact the value if you replace the rims with 2.3s or diecast. Trust me, get the 1.6 rims.

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks again. I called a local drum repair guy who has tons of parts to hunt around for a real Ludwig replacement. He told me he should have one, just has to dig a little, and it would be 10-15 bucks at most. So I am gonna hang tight until I hear from him.

One other question... When i stripped the drum last night I was surprised to find no foam or anything inside the lug boxes behind the springs. What can I get to replace that?

Posted on 16 years ago

Hmmm...I'm not sure where you can get it...but Google "thin foam" or something like that and you'll probably be able to find some kind of material that would work. personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Some Ludwig drums had the foam and some didn't have anything in there. Honestly, I'll bet you could cut up a cotton rag into strips and pack the lugs with that. Or, take part of a styrofoam pellet and tuck it in there...etc. The purpose of it is to keep the springs from rattling against the inside lug casing wall...and I've never seen that as a problem...so if they are there, then cool, but if not then it's no big deal, either way.:2Cents:

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here